Cannes, for the super rich, not for the frugal backpacker

Cannes Travel Blog

The private beach of the Hotel Carlton Nice

This morning I said "au revoir" to Marseille and headed for Cannes. It was more sunny than Marseille which was nice, because for a place that is on the beach and doesn't have much else to see, it would be quite boring in the rain! I headed down to the beach and saw some people sunbathing. I did my best and rolled up my jeans to my knees and took off my jacket. The beach is nice and sandy unlike what I hear the other beaches on Le Cote d'Azur are like. Most of the beaches are owned by the rich hotels across the street but I did find one plage publique.

I then went for a walk along the waterfront, which is bordered by high end boutiques like Versace, Armani, Dior, etc.

the Hotel Carlton Nice
Name it and it was there, with a security guard at the entrance. I walked by a hotel called the Hotel Carlton Nice. According to my guidebook, some of the rooms are $5000 a night. So .... I kept walking and came across the place where all the movies are screened for the film festival. It's big and red and not very impressive really. All around on the sidewalk is the equivalent of the hollywood walk of fame. I took some pictures of a couple celebrities I could read the signtaure of ... Michael Douglas and CHUCK NORRIS!! :)

I then went to a little bakery and bought the yummiest croissant EVER! It was covered in almonds and filled with chocolate (just like most things seem to be filled with). I also took a picture of a dessert called "une religieuse" (spelled wrong for sure). I ate one the other day and asked the guy at the hostel what it was called. The translation is รค "nun". Kinda creepy but sooooo good!! It's like a cream puff but it's chocolate pudding inside instead of cream.

Since there's not a lot to do but take a few pictures in Cannes unless you're super rich ... I then headed to Antibes.

The private beach of the Hotel Car…
The private beach of the Hotel Ca…
The train touristique in Cannes