Avignon, wandering around a medieval town

Avignon Travel Blog

the view from the park bench

So I made it to Avignon and to the hostel. The hostel was only open at 5 and I arrived at 3, so I sat on a park bench for 2 hours trying not to fall asleep and look like a homeless person (keep in mind I hadn't slept or showered in over 30 hours haha). The view was really pretty ... the Rhone river is like the Bow River in Calgary, except it's 3 times as wide, has a boardwalk of sorts that people walk their dogs, feed the ducks and run along right next to the river and oh yeah, there's a 16th century bridge and palace in the background haha.

I ended up sleeping in a room with two other girls, one from Ottawa and the other from Florida. The girl from Ottawa is in France improvong her French, taking languages at a university nearby. She said she can spent fluet French, but her Spanish isn't as good as her Italian.

the view from the park bench
She's also moving to South Korea next year to teach English and to improve her Korean. I said I'm an accountant and left it at that haha

I ended up travelling around the city with the girl from Florida. We wandered around the cobblestone streets, got lost a few times, climbed up to the top of a hill where there's a sweet park, fed some baby ducks and went inside a really old church that had a nun as a cashier in the gift shop! (YAY I found the !!!!) One of the main attractions of the city is the Pont d'Avignon (Pont St-BĂ©nezet). There's a French nursery rhyme that goes something along the lines of:

Sur le pont d'Avignon
L'on y danse, l'on y danse
Sur le pont d'Avignon
L'on y danse tous en rond

I've never heard the song before and we thought of asking an old man near the bridge to sing it for us but we decided not to.

I'm going to head out of here, find myself a nutella covered crepe and take the train to Arles, the home of Vincent Van Gogh (also known as the place where he ripped off his ear!)

Avignon