Yachimata Matsuri

Yachimata Travel Blog

Yachimata Festival

Yachimata is a very small city which makes it's humble summer festival quite special for me because it just seemed like a huge family gathering. I mean it when I say it's special and I don't care if I sound cheesy!! ^___~.

There were still the usual water games for kids on the streets like fishing fishes, small poor turtles and also rubber balls and toys.  It is fun just walking around and watching. Spending summer in Japan is great because it's the season for summer festivals. Many people were dressed with their traditional summer wear called Yukata.

While walking and watching we grabbed some free fans from a couple of guys on the street since summer here can be really really humid.  Instead of flyers, the Japanese give out tissues or fans with advertisments on it.

Yachimata Festival
  We then made our way to the small park where most of the Matsuri (Japanese for summer festival) in Yachimata were held and there I saw more food stalls with lots of kinds of foods, people selling their old stuff and even a free concert.  But in the middle of the park was a stage surrounded by big traditional drums which was kind of cool!

We walked around the small park and I had my favorite pineapple, watched some singer and sweaty dancers dance around the other stage and then something I wasn't expecting happened.

Everyone, or most of the people, with their traditional clothes on came gathering around in a circle and started dancing as the drums rolled by with their folk music. It was fun especially when I was right at the center and couldn't get out because I wouldn't want to ruin their dance moves! I was glad they didn't get annoyed by me walking around them with my camera right in front of their faces.

But I didn't know it would last longer than 30 minutes so somehow I needed to get out and I'm glad I did when I got the chance in between songs. We stayed for a little while until it got dark.

Matsuris are very relaxing and a nice way to enjoy the people and Japanese culture. ^^

cool drums
cool drums
me and my Aunt
me and my Aunt
Yachimata Festival
fried potato on the left, Yakisoba…
fried potato on the left, Yakisob…
my Uncle