Trujillo – City of Eternal Spring ;)

Trujillo Travel Blog

map of La Libertad

Because of the warm weather during the whole year and its friendly people, this city is called: “La Ciudad de la Eterna Primavera” (City of Eternal Spring).

For our first day I wanted to know all the archeological rests in the area. So we took a tour which drove us – among other places – to the

Huaca del Sol & Huaca de la Luna (Sun & Moon Mud Pyramids): The Sun Pyramid was a political and administrative center and the Moon one was a ceremonial one. Until today, the archeologists are still finding more rests of the Moche Culture in both pyramids. That’s why the Sun Pyramid was closed for the tourists.  Even though we could visit the Moon one.

Another great Huaca we could visit was: “Huaca El Dragon o Arco Iris” (Dragon’s or Rainbow’s Huaca).

Rests of the Tschudi palace
The archeologists think this huaca might be a ceremonial center, in honor to the Rainbow.

Finally we went to the most important Complex. It’s called Chan Chan and is the biggest Mud City in the world. Originally it was 20km2 and had over 100 thousand habitants. In the middle is the Tschudi Palace and you can see the squares, houses, workshops, warehouses, streets & walls, besides other temples. It’s amazing how you can distingue everything. Just imagining how people used to live here is amazing.

Right now the walls are just brown, but they used to have colorful murals.

At the end, there is a museum where you can see all the details. Well, this North Circuit might not be as great as the Southern one, but definitely is worth. The life in the Highlands and in the Coast is so different. The different conditions made people developed in different ways just adapting themselves to the environmental conditions.

The day was over and we went back to the city. Just on time to take a walk around. Trujillo is also famous because of the cheap leather. My niece’s birthday was coming, so I wanted to go and look for some shoes for her and also for me ;)

What can I say? I’m a girl and shopping is my weakness, hehehe

murals at Huaca de la Luna
murals at Huaca de la Luna
part of Huaca Arcoiris or Dragon
part of Huaca Arcoiris or Dragon
Ceremonial Huanchaque - an artific…
Ceremonial Huanchaque - an artifi…
The Central Tribune
The Central Tribune
Trujillo Sights & Attractions review
Largest Adobe-brick Capital City - Chan Chan or Sun Sun
This adobe-brick capital city, located 5km west of Trujillo, has been called the largest mud city in the world. It's 20 square km big. Its name means … read entire review
Trujillo Sights & Attractions review
Temple of the Sun and the Moon
These ceremonial centers belong to Moche Culture, here the ancient people people offered sacrifices to their god: Aipaec. The Temple of the Sun: It… read entire review
Trujillo