EuropeSwedenUmea

into the arctic!

Umea Travel Blog

at the arctic circle
Well, Swedish life is still moving along fine here in Umeå. Nothing too out of the ordinary this past week. One of my classes is actually starting to pick up so I've been busy doing research for a paper that's due in a couple of weeks. I wondered why so much time is given for writing a 5 page paper but soon realized I'm writing in my native language unlike most of the class. Swedish class is still going strong and I'm still checking out kids books from the library to learn some vocabulary.

I'm finding Iksu, the giant gym, quite a lot of fun. It's nice when most of the people you know have a membership there cause you always have a workout buddy. I did sign up for some yoga classes and the fact that I'm in Sweden phased me when I signed up.
arctic circle
I got to the class and just started laughing at myself for not realizing it would be in Swedish!

This past weekend I also went with other international students to the winter market in Jokkmokk. Jokkmokk is a small town about 400km north of Umeå. It's a small town of about 3000 people. It also lies just inside the arctic circle. It surprisingly wasn't that cold up there; only about 20f. That just felt brisk for me and my Minnesotan blood!(I'm happy I left MN before the -15f weather though!) The winter market was originally a gathering for traders in the region but has now grown to way beyond that. In the market you can find traditional Sami things (the Sami are the indigenous people of the area), furs and plenty of food. They've even got reindeer sausage at this thing! I know what some of you are wondering; no, my tastebuds were not that adventurous that day! Besides the market there are events to learn about the traditional Sami culture, dogsled rides and reindeer races. Unfortunately, I missed the reindeer races cause I had to go inside and warm up after waiting in line for my helicopter ride! It may have only been a four minute but hey, at least I can say I've done it!
lonlee2 says:
Try the reindeer next time, it's very good!
Posted on: Jul 22, 2008