so here we are...

Stockholm Travel Blog

spring in stockholm!
...in the wonderful city of Stockholm.  The night train wasn't that bad...except for the baby that felt the need to cry or make noise every 15 minutes. We sat next to a guy from Gothenburg, Sweden and had a nice conversation. He was unlike most Swedes; they are usually shy and don't talk t strangers. But he heard us speak english and they like to practice english any chance they have. It turns out he was a cameraman for the Swedish version of Survivor. After getting into Stockholm me and papa both agreed it felt like we were being interviewed.

Stockholm that morning was foggy and not very promising looking but within a couple hours the fog burned off and it was sunny and warm.
outside Långholmen prison
If you're not familiar with Stockholm it is a bunch of islands that make up the city. The part of town where the central train station is is called Norrmalm. To the east of that area is Östermalm, and even further east is Ladugårdsgärdet. To the west of Norrmalm is the Kungsholmen area. South of that island is Långholmen (where the prison is). South of the Norrmalm area is a small island called Gamla Stan. Gamla Stan literally means old city. It is where of course the old stuff is and also one of the most touristy areas of Stockholm. South of the Östermalm area is the island called Djurgården. South of all Gamla Stan and Långholmen is a large island called Södermalm. We spent most of our time in these areas with the exception of Kungsholmen. We spent a lot of our time in Stockholm exploring the streets.
city hall
With our two different travel guides we found plenty to do. Papa bought some Stockholm cards before he came; they gave us free entrance into many museums and free use of public transport. We left our bags at central station and spent the day walking around and museum hopping. But before any of that we were both excited to stay in prison so we went and found Långholmen and looked around. The island is like a giant park with some buildings scattered here and there. There is a school there that is housed in one of the old prison buildings. A lot of the prison buildings have been knocked down but there are some still standing, like the one that houses the hostel and hotel. Walking around some of the paths we ran into a guy with his airedale terrier, so we of course stopped and said hi.
streets of gamla stan
After finding the prison we decided to walk along the northern part of Södermalm. It gave some great views of city hall and other sights around the area. We also found our red boat hostel that we would be staying in too. After that we walked around the streets of Gamla Stan for a while. We were slowly making our way over to the Vasa Museum but not before we could get to Kaknästornet, the tv tower which provides some great views of Stockholm. After that we headed to the Vasa Museum. It has a ship that is king Gustav II wanted built. He of course wanted it done his way and he was no shipbuilder. The ship sank less than 2km after setting sail on her maiden voyage. The ship was built in the 1600's and was still very well preserved when they found it in the 1950's.
Even though I had been there before it was fun to go again because I had more time to wander around and read about the ship.  After Vasa we of course were out exploring the streets once again. We headed back over to Södermalm. There is a street that sits at about water level and then there is a giant rock face that goes up into the rest of the island. We found a path leading up to the top and got some good views of city hall, central station and of Gamla Stan. After that we headed back over to Gamla Stan to look around and find some dinner. We found a nice little place called Art Cafe. It is in the cellar of an old building on the island. From there we walked over to Norrmalm and walked around the shopping district a little bit. It was finally late enough and we were both tired after that so we took the tunnelbana(subway) back.
While in the tunnelbana we found what I had heard about-subway art. The station with subway art is about 5 stories below ground level, but it looked cool. We decided we would try and find more tbana art later.

Saturday when we woke up it was sunny and nice out so we decided to take advantage of the weather and head out to Skansen. Skansen is an open-air museum on the island of Djurgården. It has a small zoo and contains many buildings of how Swedes lived in different areas as well as eras. It was a very entertaining place and we ended up walking around the park all afternoon. There were old shops that practiced glass blowing, baking, carpentry and printing. We were very entertained by the glass blower. We sat to have lunch at a little pond and watched kids chase the birds.
It was full of ducks, geese, and gulls and they were all beggars and we found out they don't like oranges very much. After Skansen we didn't have very much time left to see any museums before they closed but we walked over to the Historiska Museet(history museum). We made it through the Viking exhibit and the exhibit they had an gold and it's place throughout history. The Viking exhibit was very interesting. After the museum we entertained ourselves by walking back down to the tbana station at central with the art. We hopped on the train and rode out till the end of the line. We found art at every station on the blue line. We spent a good hour or two doing that before heading back to Gamla Stan to find a pint or some food. We luckily found both at a British pub called Wirströms, it was literally full of Brits.

We went back the next morning to finish walking through the history museum, specifically the prehistoric times exhibit that focused on Sweden. The museum was probably one of the best I've been to. They make the displays interesting to look at and it makes you want to read about it. After that we walked over to the biology museum. It was very interesting to see the different bird/animal species of Sweden. It was about as good as the Bell museum in mpls. From there we headed to the Nordiska museum. It was in a beautiful building and that was the main reason we went, we wanted to see the inside. The museum contained different exhibits on textiles, toys, furniture, etc. throughout time in Sweden. It also had an exhibit on the Sami people(indigenous people that live in Lappland) but it was not as good as the small one we saw in Gällivare.
We had plans to go to other museums but it was Sunday and our luck ran out and they were all closed. So we walked around the shopping district and some other streets just exploring. That night we changed hotels for a night and stayed in the Lord Nelson on the main street that runs through Gamla Stan. The hotel is five meters wide, seriously. We somehow came on the right night and got the room at the very top floor overlooking the main street. It was also widest room I'm pretty sure since it was five meters wide. We also headed back down to Wirström's to have couple pints with my friend Maria from Austria who was in Sotckholm with a few friends. All in all it was a good end to another long day of walking.

That brought us to Monday, papa's last full day in Sweden.
view from the tv tower
We had plans for a few of the free museums but they all happened to be closed so we just spent a lot of time walking around. We had one thing left that we really wanted to see which was the market. We wandered the streets until we finally found it. It was very nice and all looked very tasty. Papa ended up getting some reindeer sausage that was later unfortunately taken by u.s. customs. We didn't do much that day but walk around. We met up with Nico and his parent's later in the day and walked around a bit with them and got dinner. We spent the night on the Red Boat, a very cool hostel with a great view.

On Tuesday, papa and I got some breakfast at little neighborhood bakery in Södermalm before heading out to the airport to say bye. I spent the rest of the morning in Stockholm wandering around the streets and going to the dance museum.
the tv tower
It was a small little museum that didn't have much I didn't already know about, but it did have a screen showing 1930's clips of ballet shows, so I sat and watched that for a while. My luck with the weather also ran out since it started raining that day and later was snowing. I met up with Nico and his parents and spent the rest of the day with them. The next morning Nico and I headed out to Avesta, where the Haglöf's factory outlet is. Haglöf's is a popular outdoor gear brand in Sweden. We didn't find much out there but a giant dala horse so we hopped on the train back to Stockholm and spent the rest of the rainy afternoon in a cafe reading, waiting to take the night train back to Umeå.
Since back here, it has snowed twice and been cold. It's the middle of April and I'm still stuck in winter. At least it's sunny today though!(literally the most sun I've seen since I was in Stockholm!) That's all the news I've got for now. I've spent the last few days catching up with friends and catching up on sleep and relaxing after the walking marathon of Stockholm. I'm working on planning my next adventure which entails hiking part of the Austrian Alps in a couple of months. That's all I got for now!
vasa ship