Helsinki Travel Blog

helsinki!
Today it's leave umeå day! (at least for a bit) I headed back out to the coast to catch the night ferry to vaasa finland.  a pleasant little ride really.  Of course, I was too excited to sleep cause I was on holiday and couldn't wait to see some new sights!  Well, after living in a foreign country for a while, I've learned to laugh at myself.  I must have forgotten it was winter because I was so surprised to see giant chunks of ice floating in the water.  Not only was I surprised but for some reason I got really excited, it was something I'd never seen before.  Of course I stood outside in the frigid cold trying to take pictures of them, but I did end up with a few good ones.  My friend and I ended up in Vaasa at about 2am and walked around the sleeping town looking for the bus station.
  We coldly waited until 3am eating nutella and peanut butter sandwiches.  After one more early morning bus transfer we arrived in Helsinki, tired but excited.  We only spent a day there but it was a day well spent.  We walked around all day with fika breaks here and there.  We visited the Temppeliaukio Kirrko(church) which is built into this rocky hillside. To get there you have to walk up a hill no matter what direction and even then, from the street all you can see is the dome of the church sticking up out of the rock. The walls are rock that has been roughly taken out leaving a jagged surface all around. We walked the whole southern part of Helsinki seeing most of the main tourist attractions in less than a day.
We didn't stop at any museums though given our time limit, budget and the expensiveness of Helsinki.  We also found the old market to walk through and picked up some reindeer sausage for later.  We eventually decided to try and catch an earlier ferry to Tallinn that night since we were tired and wanted to get out of the land with words containing far too many vowels. In our luck it was the Thursday before Good Friday, so we went back and forth between ferry companies trying to get tickets until eventually we lucked out and were on our way to Tallinn; it was a very interesting ferry ride to say the least. If you've ever met a Finn you may know that they like to drink. I guess the Estonian's are the same. Most people on the ferry drank the whole way there with the exception of some kids and us, the tired travelers.  Day one was successful, up next was a couple days in Tallinn!
church in the rocks