Welcome! Still in the USA

San Jose Travel Blog

Welcome to my SE Asia Travel Blog!

Sourm-Sva-Kum = Welcome in Khmer

On January 29, 2008 I will departing the USA to embark on my travels though south east Asia. Unlike my backpacking trip through Western Europe I won't be entirely alone throughout my travels. I will be flying in to Singapore to visit my girl friend Jessica, whom I have known since we were 4 years old. She has been living in Singapore for the past couple of years ever since her husband was temporarily transferrred there for work. She has been loving it ever since! I can't wait to see her, I miss her so much!

We are the two bookends in this group. Yes, I know I was a big tomboy. Still kind of am..hehe. After spending a few days with Jessica, I will begin my backpacking adventures. My girl Tracy will meet me in Vietnam and we will be traveling through Vietnam and Thailand together until we say goodbye in Phuket. And then I'm off on my own again for a few days until I meet a whole batch of new friends in Kuching, Malaysia where I will be participating in a homebuild trip in Malaysia with Habitat for Humanity. After the homebuild, I will stop over in South Korea on my way back home to visit family - I can't go all of the way to south east Asia and not stop by South Korea to see family! That's like living in NY and visiting Los Angeles and not visiting your family in OC!

Here is the rough itinerary:

January 29-Feb 3: Singapore
Feb 23-Mar 3: Kuching, Malaysia
Mar 4-Mar 5: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Mar 5-Mar 6: Singapore
Mar 6-Mar 14: Seoul, South Korea

The cities highlighted in purple are must go destinations as committments have been made for those dates. Everything else in between is up for negotiation! Who knows where I will end up? In Europe I was supposed to end my trip in Madrid & Ibiza, Spain and I ended up in Greece! But that is the beauty of traveling, to let your adventures lead you.

I spent an hour tearing up the house looking for my passport....That was stressful. Thank goodness it was found and all is well.

I have a billion things on my checklist to take care of before I leave and I have barely even scratched the surface! This seems to be a trend. Europe: purchased plane ticket and I was off in 2 weeks. Yucatan: purchase plane ticket and I was off that night. SE Asia: purchase plane ticket and off in 3 weeks. Insane, I know~!