Making the Grade

Manila Travel Blog

The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts, now on its 35th year, is THE mother of all festivals. Over the years, I had read about it extensively and even made vain efforts to watch it at wee hours of the morning on a 4-inch screen over the internet.

As a music promoter, I have always enjoyed encouraging people to open their ears to a wider spectrum of musical choices, whether it be music that I loved, or music which I thought would be of interest to others. The ability to share the exhilarating language of music always gave me a sense of fulfilment even when it failed to produce any sufficient financial compensation. When I received the very nonchalant and understated email from the British Council telling me that I was actually going to see, smell, taste, touch, eat, live, breathe Glastonbury, words failed me. All I could manage was a shrill bloodcurdling shriek and hung up. I had to call back immediately to verify the message and to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating.

One month later, I would be on my way to the festival's site on Worthy Farm in Glastonbury via London. I hope I don't die before then.

Manila