White Water Rafting on the Tully River

Mission Beach Travel Blog

steph is soo happy to be alive :) haha

Today we went whitewater rafting!! wooo. We got picked up by the guide early in the morning..like ridiculously early..then went around the other hostels in the area to get the other people that were going rafting that day. After everyone was picked up we drove to Tully, which was like half an hour away. The driver said that everyone in the area makes fun of Tully like everyone in Australia makes fun of Tasmania. Apparently Tully gets more rain than any other city in Australia. We finally got to the rafting center where we signed a few forms, Linds and Steph got their shoes, and then we waited til it was time to go.

The same people that came from Mission Beach went in one van and all the others that came from Cairns went in another van.

our raft
On the way to the river the guide told us what groups we were gunna be in and told us some rules and what not and then we got there and got into our groups. But some people apparently don't know how to follow instructions, and our group had a few too many people and one group had 3 short, so we jumped on the chance to change groups, the other one looked more fun.

So we met our new guide, a guy from New Zealand who was VERY attractive...haha. We walked down to the river and were assigned our seats on the boat, I had to sit in the back, next to the guide, apparently its the 'action seat'. We got started and right away I almost fell out! Luckily I was sitting next to the guide, he pulled me back in..It was soo much fun! One of the coolest things I'd done to date, if not the coolest. We went along 42 different rapids or somethin like that, each with a funny name.

us with our rafting guide!
Our guide was a crackup, he told us heaps of funny stories, like how he tutors retarded dolphins on his time off..Funny guy. I almost fell off a couple more times too..

Halfway through the day we stopped at this campsite sort of thing and had some lunch. During this lunch the funniest thing ever happened! We told Lindsay to go get us the juice, so she went and came back..and then we realized that she thought that cordial was juice and you just drank it straight! hahaha..so not the case, you put not very much in your cup and fill the rest with water. The people that were there when she did that woulda thought she was nuts! But fair enough, we don't have cordial at home and she didn't know..but me and Steph thought it was pretty funny.

After lunch we kept going down the river for a couple more hours before finishing around 2pm. After everyone changed we went back to the office place and waited for the photos. The cds were 100 bucks!! But we reeally wanted the cd so we bought it and split it 3 ways. We hung around there for a while before going back to Mission Beach. We didn't do much when we got back except read some of our book. We did walk to the beach when it was dark and hung out there for a while, played around in the sand..was good times.

melissak says:
pfft no not any canadian! not me and steph..haha
Posted on: Feb 02, 2009
linandvin says:
HEY. you put any canadian in that situation with the juice and the same thing would happen!
Posted on: Feb 02, 2009
steph is soo happy to be alive :) …
steph is soo happy to be alive :)…
he told us to wave..
the bus
the bus
mission beach
mission beach
talking to lori on the phone!
talking to lori on the phone!
Mission Beach