Friday night at the MCG! Go Collingwood!

Melbourne Travel Blog

the mcg

I don't feel like updating the last week or so, it hasnt been very exciting. I have a place to live though for 6 weeks so woo to that, its a great little apartment in hawthorn, right next to the train station! Oh and I found a job at City Blend Cafe so yay for making money and having a real place to live. But anywho..Friday. I started work at 7am and the trains only leave at 6:26 and 6:46 so I had to get there super early again, oh well better early than late. And I work on Lt. Collins street, near Elzabeth so its right near Flinders station so I hardly have to walk at all lol. But yeah, started at 7 and got off at 4:30 and headed home to get ready to go to the footy!!

When I got home I was SO excited because the plumber came and the toilet was unclogged! That was fun for 3 days.

me and the mcg
..So anyways, I got ready to go and we got the 6:49 train to Richmond. I had a day pass for the train already for work, but then I forgot it! So I had to buy a new ticket..but then I found my daypass in another pocket!! Grr. But when we got to Richmond and put my new ticket in I hadn't validated it yet! So it all worked out and I can use it another day.

So we got to the MCG and there were quite a few people heading in there, all wearing their Collingwood or Geelong scarfs. We found our seats in the top part of the stadium, which wasn't even that bad because I could see the whole grounds and it didn't even seem that far up. Belinda(my flatmate) took a bit trying to explain some of the rules before the game started. I sort of get it.

belinda and me
But it is the best sport ever!! I love it haha, and Collingwood is now my team because Belinda cheers for them and also I don't like Geelong for reasons I will explain in another entry. Collingwood is 7th place and Geelong is(WAS) undefeated. It didn't take long to see that Collingwood was dominating, they were up by 45 point after the first half!

At halftime we went to go buy food but the food place didnt have eftpos so we had to go all the way to the ATM outside. It was SO gross as soon as we walked out there was this big cloud of smoke above all the smokers, the air was disgusting and the line for the ATM was giant. But we got our food and got back and only missed 5 minutes. We missed Geelong score 3 goals. Oh well..and we were also sitting next to HEAPS of Geelong supporters, these 2 little girls next to us kept giving us the evil eyes for going for Collingwood. Oh well, the score shut them up! Collingwood ended up winning by 86 points!! They killed Geelong. And I love the MCG, it was packed! There was 78,000 people there and the only empty seats were in the club section..jerks. But very exciting game and awesome atmosphere. It didn't even take that long to get a train home, even though we were fighting with thousands of people to get to the station. So all in all, a great first AFL experience and hopefully not my last!

go collingwood