There are no words to describe this day, except amazing!!

Brisbane Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 104 › view all entries
the irwins

I'll make a Fiji blog later when I have my journal with me, but for now heres Oz. My flight from Fiji was delayed 5 hours because of the cyclone so we left at 1am and got to Brisbane at 3:30am. I had absolutely no idea where to go and what to do so i just headed for the taxi area to see if my hostel would let me in. While I was standing there I talked to this really awesome middle aged Australian woman and she asked if I wanted to go and spend the night at her house instead of going to the city not knowing if I'd be allowed in. I figured, hey what the heck she seemed super nice and genuine so I went with her. Her house was about 30 minutes from the airport. We got there at about 4:30am and it seemed like they had a lot of property.

petting a kangaroo
She paid for the taxi even though I offered to! So nice. We went inside where I met her husband Keith and I talked to the 2 of them for a while before she set me up in a bed. It was really nice to finally go to sleep in a nice comfy, sandless bed.

I woke up at about 8:30, not sure what to expect for the day. I went out and met 2 young girls, Amy was Sis's neice and Kayla was a friend of the family. The Simpsons was on so we watched that. I also met Sisi's dad, the owner of the house. Really nice people. Then was her son Steven and her other son Matt, later Melissa came over from her house. Matt had a couple friends over to help him clean up from the night before. Everyone seemed really nice. They asked if I wanted spaghetti on toast for breakfast! I tried it because I'd never heard of it before, but it was actually really good.

After breakfast Steve showed me their race horses and their pony. They have like 10 acres of land! I couldn't have come home to a better family(well, except my own haha). Then Steve took me and the 2 girls to the Australia Zoo! It was about an hour from their house. It's pretty expensive to get in though, 50 dollars! But its really big. I had a lot of fun there, it was awesome. So nice of them to take me. We left at about 3:30 and got back to the farm(thats what everyone calls it) at just after 4.

When I got there Matt had about 10 of his friends over and I met all of them. They were so nice, we sat and talked to them for a few hours. Most of them had never met a Canadian before so they were all asking me tons of questions about everything-the weather, if we had grass(?) and murderers. was hilarious actually. They were all playing backyard cricket and they taught me how to play and I played some cricket with them, I actually did pretty well haha, or at least they said I did. It was awesome. One of them asked me if I wanted to go the party they were going to that night, so I figured why not..and went with them.

We had some dinner first, Sis made us all lasagna that was delicious. Then I went in car with Brent, Andy, Matt and Steve and the rest went in the other car. We stopped at the beer store to pick some up and then went over to the gas station. Andy and Matt decided it would be a good idea to take a leak, turns out not so much as the cops drove by and made us pull to the side and got Andy and Matt and Brent to get out of the car and there was also open alcholo in the car as we were all drinking in there.

Luckily they got off with just a warning, but the cop seemed pretty pissed. As soon as they drove away though they started doing the same thing, Matt said to me 'we never learn'...pretty funny. They were throwing whatever they could find at the signs that we passed.

We got the party and parked in the grass for some reason...and I met a whole bunch of people. They all thought it was so random that I was there, and so did I. I met a bunch of people that were really friendly! Such nice people. Everyone kept calling me Canadia, started by Richard. I though it was pretty funny. They kept asking me to say words to hear my accent haha. Good times. We stayed there till about 1:30 and then we couldn't get a taxi so we started walking up this big hill and it was so cold out! Well, it seemed really cold. Some random guy was walking on the street and he pushed someone so they all almost got into a fight. Then we kept going and eventually Brent phoned his dad who picked us all about at 3am on the corner of a street.

We went back to the farm and watched some TV, saw the sunrise and I went to bed at about 5:30am. It was the most random day of my life probably haha, but I had such a good time!

Ladii-j says:
im kinda like u in a way im not scared of meeting n seeing new things..
Posted on: Sep 24, 2009
DCBackpacker says:
The unplanned make for the best days!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2009
sophiefbs says:
sounds really funny. people there are so friendly/
Posted on: Jul 26, 2008
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
the irwins
the irwins
petting a kangaroo
petting a kangaroo
koala sleeping at the zoo
koala sleeping at the zoo
tom teaching me to play cricket, b…
tom teaching me to play cricket, …
i kicked ass..haha
i kicked ass..haha
it was the girl on the rights birt…
it was the girl on the rights bir…
group photo at the birthday
group photo at the birthday
sleeping waiting for brents dad to…
sleeping waiting for brents dad t…
photo by: Mezmerized