Taal Volcano Trekking

Tagaytay City Travel Blog

My friends enjoyed the amazing scenery at Taal Volcano Crater

Leaving Manila at around 9 PM via South Luzon Expressway was quite a breeze.  We were able to reach Starbucks at Petron SLEX Station within half an hour from Paranque City.  I figured a Venti of hot cappucino would do the trick in keeping me awake until we reach Tagaytay City, so it would really be a great idea to grab one.

Less than two hours of driving in a not so well-lit highway of Sta. Rosa, Laguna later, we finally arrived in the City of Tagaytay.  The cool breeze, which is what the city is famous for, greeted me as I switched off the car air-con and opened my windows.  It was then that I realized that I really missed driving in the Philippines so much.

At the guesthouse before breakfast

We almost got lost trying to find our way to my friend's house, where we've planned to spend the night.  But because it was already late, the guys suggested that we should just get a room since we won't be doing anything else but to sleep.   Although there's plenty of guesthouses and inns along the ridge of the Taal Lake, we checked in at the first guesthouse that we spotted because it was already drizzling and I was just so damn tired to even drive to the next guesthouse! I never actually cared if the rent was a little expensive than those of the other guesthouses.  I just really wanted to have a hot shower and get some sleep!

At around 8:30 the next morning, we packed up and headed to Taal Yacht Club in the nearby town of Talisay to do the volcano trekking.

Cool breeze of Tagaytay
  Since it was also my first time to do it, I did some research on the internet and found out that the Yacht Club has a safe parking area and that you can use their facilities like the toilet and shower room to clean yourself after the trek.  So we went there, parked my car, paid for the boat, entrance fee or tourism fee as they call it and then jumped into the boat and sailed the warm waters of Taal Lake to reach the foot of the volcano.

Elaine rented a horse for P500 and the the rest of us did it on foot.  It took us almost an hour to finally reach the volcano's summit and be amazed by the wonderful scenery.  It was really awesome.  The placid lake within the crater made it look more serene.  We almost forgot that we're on top of a volcano, until Elaine's guide led us to the small ridge where we can literally feel the hot sulphuric fumes emanating from the tiny holes within the edge of the crater.

Taal Volcano from afar
  It was really hot! We couldn't stand the heat so we decided to head back to the arrival area and grabbed something to drink.

On the other side of the crater, Adam and Juan were persuaded by some policemen fire four bullets of .45 caliber pistol for P500.  It was both their first time to fire a gun so they were really very excited to try it, even if I told them that it shouldn't cost that much to fire a gun in the Philippines.

We spent about an hour on the crater taking photos and videos and admiring the beautiful crater of Taal Volcano. It was already lunchtime when we left the crater and traveresed the trail back to the boat station.

Some kids riding a pony
  We reached the yacht club at 1pm and we were already starving and very exhausted.

Elaine quickly changed her dress.  Adam, Juan and I hurriedly put some dry shorts on and hung our shirts at the back of the truck to let it dry as we head off to search for a nice place to have our lunch.  Unfortunately, there was no restaurant or cafeteria nearby.  But before we took the exit at Star Toll Expressway, Juan saw a Jollibee sign and asked me what that was.  When they learned that it's the Filipino version of Mc Donald's, they got very curious and they all wanted to try it.  So that was just another random thing that happened on the trip.  I stopped at Jollibee Calamba, Laguna to get our lunch.  And guess what?! The American said it's 'way better than McDonald's.' Hehehe.

It was already 2:30 in the afternoon and I was afraid we would not be able to reach our next destination before sunset.  But because I was driving really fast, we arrived at exactly 3 pm in Pagsanjan, Laguna.

waterfyre says:
I love your pics and the video!
Posted on: Apr 17, 2008
jennethm says:
Uy, this inspired me to try trekking also. Thanks! Great blog by the way :)
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008
the_bloodsucker says:
sobrang fulfilling pag nalakad mo hanggang taas... pero nahilo ako kasi biglang upo... buti na lang may tindang coke sa taas! \:D/
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008
My friends enjoyed the amazing sc…
Boat ride to the volcano