Miyun Week 8

Miyun Travel Blog

The week started much the same as the last couple...with me in a bad mood and feeling very cold....

Luckily I got some good news though.  I was told the kids would have exams from the 7th to 9th November.  This meant I could delay my return back from the UK.  What I had originally thought would be a long weekend back in Blightly has now turned out to be a week – yippee!!!!!!!!

On Tuesday evening, Wendy, Sella and I went to have noodles and then went shopping.  Wendy had offered to help me try to find a gift to take home to my mum.  After trudging round all of Miyun, I came home empty handed.  I couldn’t find anything that I thought Mum would like.  Chinese ornaments can only be described as disgusting.  They seem to love grotesque objects made from jade or really kitsch things.  Where was all the beautiful porcelain they’re so famous for?

After my evening class on the Wednesday, I got a call from Wendy to say she had something she wanted to give me.  I waited for her at the school and she handed over a lovely set of vases she’d bought for my mother as a gift.  I was really touched – she’d been all over Miyun that evening to try and find them because she was determined I wouldn’t go back to the UK empty handed.  Her efforts were really impressive; I really didn’t know what to say.

Finally the day arrived for me to head back to the UK!  I was so excited....

photo by: lizharvey79