AsiaChinaMiyun

Miyun Week 6

Miyun Travel Blog

Enjoying dinner at Hooters

This week was pretty rubbish....I came down with a nasty cold and cough, so Wendy, who’d clearly become over-protective of me, wanted to take me to a doctor to get checked out.

It was obvious to me I just had a cold, mainly because the temperature outside had seemingly dropped 10°C overnight, but still Wendy insisted I should see a doctor, so I jumped on the back of her bike and she took me off to Miyun hospital.

Well, what can I say?  It was certainly an experience and I’m just glad I had a native speaker with me – not that I would have ended up at the hospital if it wasn’t for Wendy’s insistence!

I had an initial consultation with the doctor, who said I should get a blood test and an x-ray.

At Hooters
  I really couldn’t understand why they would need an x-ray but have since been told this was to check for TB.  Given I had to pay for each test, I told Wendy I didn’t want the x-ray but would have the blood test, so after going to the cashier and paying for it, we went in search of the right area in the hospital.  On route, we managed to somehow walk onto a film set!  It was definitely a very surreal moment – there was a Chinese camera crew filming a hospital drama in a real hospital and we actually walked onto camera in the middle of a take!  Definitely another T.I.C. moment – as if you’d ever experience something like that in a UK hospital.

As expected, the blood test came back clear – I hadn’t contracted TB or bird flu, which was a relief – so I was given a huge prescription and walked away equipped with enough drugs to supply the Red Cross.

The girls do their thang
  Wendy then took me back to school and the rest of the day passed uneventfully.

The following day I was still feeling pretty ill despite the massive number of drugs I was now taking and what’s more, the water supply in the apartment had suddenly stopped.

By Thursday, the drugs had finally kicked in so I was feeling much better but I had to wait until Friday for the water to start working again.

I’d already decided by this point that I would head into Beijing on the Friday evening by myself.  I clearly needed a hot shower and a bit of time alone as the week had not been the best and I had started to feel sorry for myself.

I was up pretty early on the Saturday morning and headed in the direction of my favourite shopping venue, the Silk Market.

Enjoying my fried chicken
  I then spent the day, doing what I every girl does to feel better...shopping till dropping!  My bartering skills were on fine form - I managed to get the Christmas presents for my family I’d planned to buy plus a few extras for yours truly.

After stopping off at the Oriental Plaza, I took a trip down memory lane and went to the Peninsula hotel for a bite to eat, which is where Smurf and I had stayed when we first reached Beijing.  I then sat in the comfort of the lobby bar and slurped on a delicious Apple Martini before heading back to the hostel and joining the other Beijingers.

We then went out to Hooters for dinner/drinks.  Not sure what I was expecting, but perhaps a little more atmosphere.  The place was tacky American as I’d been warned, with the waitresses in tight orange hot pants and too much make-up... Its only redeeming feature was the inclusion of Apple Martinis on the cocktail list.

After Hooters (not that I remember leaving), we went to some bar in San Li Tun, which I remember very little about, but managed to get the best ‘Liz crazy dancing’ shot of my trip so far.

The next day I was only just about capable of making it back to Miyun....

MarsZhang says:
ah,I'm from Miyun.A very different life in tiny town,right? No bars, no shopping malls, no other english speakers...
Posted on: Oct 15, 2012
Enjoying my fried chicken
Fi with Simon and Ferg at China Do…
Fi with Simon and Ferg at China D…
Me, Inga and BBC