AsiaChinaMiyun

Miyun Week 5

Miyun Travel Blog

The clan all together

Back to work first thing in the morning, which is never fun after a holiday.  However, Inga got back from her week away at lunchtime, so we were able to swap holiday stories, which was quite amusing.

The week passed by as normal.  My lessons went ok – nothing out of the ordinary, although the new lesson plan I started on the Thursday definitely wasn’t as much fun as the last one.

There was another typical T.I.C. moment on Friday....I was sitting in the office as normal waiting for my 11.15am lesson, when suddenly a student burst in and tells me I’m late!  They’d changed the timetable that morning for some reason and not told me.

Me with the waiters

Anyhow, I got my things together and walked over to the classroom with my student. On route I apologised for being late explaining that I didn’t know.  She replied, ‘it doesn’t matter, it’s just we get very excited for your lesson’.  This was just the best response to have had....I’m guessing it’s the sort of comment every teacher wants to hear from a pupil.

After the class, which was pretty rushed as I’d missed 15 minutes of it, I was walking back to the teachers’ office with Wendy....She told me it was Sella’s birthday and invited me to join her family for dinner that evening.

There was no school that afternoon for some reason, so I met Wendy at 4pm and headed over to her home.  I’d taken Sella the Lion King DVD (which I’d managed to pinch from Inga) for her birthday, so she and I watched the film together whilst Wendy got the dinner prepared.

The dodgy gropping Chinese guys

Wendy’s husband then arrived home, along with Wendy’s sister, brother-in-law and niece.  We then sat down to dinner and had a fantastic evening.  They were all really hospitable and fun, and, as usual with Chinese meals, they had me gambeiing rice wine.  Wendy’s sister seemed like a hoot – she didn’t speak any English, in fact none of them did apart from Wendy, but the translation got their personalities across just fine.  She invited me to have dinner at her house, which was very kind...She said to me in Chinese ‘you, me, we can drink together’, which amazingly I understood (although not difficult with a bit of sign language).  She had shown she liked a drink or two over the course of the meal and obviously recognised a kindred spirit!

Inga and I had discussed going to Huairou that evening to meet up with Martin and Piotr at the Pattaya Club.

The waiters dance
..I hadn’t expected the evening with Wendy to be as long or as fun as it had been, so I got back to our apartment a little later than anticipated. Inga was ready and waiting, and despite being almost 10pm, was still up for heading out, so I grabbed my things and we went off to get a taxi.

We managed to find a cab driver pretty easily and had a laugh negotiating with him – he clearly had a sense of humour.  Anyhow, it turned out to be the best taxi ride ever....As we were cruzing along towards Huairou, he suddenly flipped down the passenger sun shield to reveal a TV screen.  The next thing we know he’d put on a cheesy western love song karaoke DVD!  I couldn’t believe my luck... We’d managed to hail a karaoke cabbie in Miyun of all places and were now happily singing along to ‘I will always love you’ and ‘Everything I do, I do it for you’.

Having another boogie
  Only in China!...or maybe Japan.

I’d remembered the way in to Huairou from my previous trip so was able to direct our fabulous cab driver to the right spot.  And after a rather sad goodbye to him, we joined Piotr, Martin and Ferg at the club.

We had a fun night dancing away and enjoying the cheap club beer, although Inga and I had one scary moment on the dance floor when we were mobbed by a group of Chinese men, who seemed to think because we were western, they could grab us inappropriately.  Once we’d managed to escape, we rejoined the boys, who thought the whole episode was hilarious – I didn’t share their humour and just hoped I’d never be in their company should I ever be in any real danger.  Inga and I agreed this was precisely the sort of situation when we needed someone like Simon around, the more sensible member of the Beijing crowd.

Enjoying beers at the Pattaya Club

The cabaret performance that night wasn’t as good as the one I’d experienced the week before, but we managed to get to do KTV again until 4am, which was great!  They even kept the club open an extra couple of hours specially.

The following day we were up pretty late and went to Big Pizza to get some hangover grub.  Inga and I then made our way into Beijing.

We met up with Simon and BBC and went for dinner at a great Chinese restaurant by Houhai called Union Square (a very un-Chinese name).  After that we went to the No Name Bar and had great fun sampling the cocktail list.

Sunday was spent shopping... I managed to get a couple of seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, which should keep Inga and I entertained for a while.

Posing with Inga
Posing with Inga
Piotr pulls one of his moves
Piotr pulls one of his moves
The boys strike a pose
The boys strike a pose
Singing one of my favs - Somewhere…
Singing one of my favs - Somewher…
Martins not too sure about Fergs…
Martin's not too sure about Ferg'…
Inga and I at the No Name Bar