BLOG: End of the Grand Canal

Hangzhou Travel Blog

Hangzhou is at the southern terminal of the Grand Canal, an irrigation and transport lifeline constructed in around 600 AD, linking that city with Beijing. A distance of over 1000 km I'm sure ... takes about 2 hours to fly.

The main attraction of Hangzhou is West Lake beside the city is built. The beauty of the lake is such that there are some 36 West Lakes in China, all named after this one.

The lake has several islands in it, one of them with several mirror-like ponds with carps up to 2 feet long!!! There are also numerous pavilions and gardens for relaxing and admiring the scenery. A dusty haze descended on us the afternoon we arrived in Hangzhou, and this detracted from the city's beauty.

Hangzhou is supposedly the tourist capital of China, but it is large enough to dilute the influx. Very unlike our previous destination (Huangshan / Tunxi) which was completely overwhelmed.

Domestic tourism is HUGE in China and we seem to be running to groups led by someone with a power megaphone. The itinerary for this trip attracts few foreign tourists and Kim goes for days seeing another European, and then only a handful.

What we don't understand is how they all afford the entrances as they are typically not cheap ... and there are no local prices (believe me I've tried).

photo by: sophiefbs