Day trip into Bosnia & Herzegovina

Mostar Travel Blog

While at Split, I made a sidetrip to Mostar in Bosnia-Hercegovina without Kim as New Zealanders require a visa for entry into the country. Mostar is famous for the historical bridge which collapsed during the Balkan conflict ... many of you will recall images of this on the news. Arrival in the town stirred a sick feeling in me as the bus drove along the former frontline, with ruins of buildings riddled with bullet-holes. Muslims now occupy the old Turkish town (where cafe culture is not only alive but thriving with the utmost style) while Christians occupy the new town. Meanwhile Kim stayed in Split exploring the Roman ruins, and having one of his few relaxing days on the entire trip.

The excursion was stressful towards the end ... my research had indicated that there would be buses that could take me back to Split in the afternoon.  But no one in Mostar would or confirm that ... instead indicating that I had to wait till tomorrow.  It appeared that the locals only had information on buses starting in Mostar whereas my research included buses coming from Sarajevo, calling in at Mostar on the way to Split.  All ended well ... phew!

photo by: brcko