Warszawa

Warsaw Travel Blog

I didn't do the pub crawl in Berlin like I thought I would.  The weather took a turn for the worse so I ended up in the lobby of the Pegasus hostel drinking my consciousness away.  There I met Elizabeth, a law student from Chicago going to Prague to study.  We drank and bullshited about God knows what until about 4 a.m.  Not a very good idea when I had to check out at 11 a.m.  Surprisingly though, I woke up around 8:30.  I took a look outside my window and decided there was no way in hell I was going to travel in that weather.  It was drizzling and just dreary.  So, I found my way to the receptionist and asked to extend my stay.  "You'll have to take a different room on the 3rd floor," she says.  Hell no, I'm not lugging my bag up those stairs.
i had a kick there
  Guess I'm traveling after all.

Random thought:  I decided to try a big mac in Berlin for curiousity sake.  I found out that a big mac in any language is just as shitty.

Got on the train at Hauptbarnhof.  Pretty uneventful.  I did sit opposite the mother of all M.I.L.Fs.  Damn!!  At least I had something to look at for the entire train ride.  When the train crossed the border from Germany into Poland, I definitely knew we were in East Europe.  Things were very different.  Poorer definitely.  The train stations in West Europe were like mini cities in their own rights.  You could find almost anything there.  One thing I hated though, you had to pay to take a piss.  No bloody way.  I'd rather piss my pants.
  The stations in Poland, on the other hand, were more decrepit and mismanaged.

I finally saw me some sun yesterday.  By God, how I've missed it.  The feel of Warszawa (Warsaw for y'all) is different but it's my favourite thus far.  And it's amazing.  People don't jaywalk here.  They wait for the little man to turn green, then they go.  That was foreign to me.  My roommates here have been the best ones I've had.  There was Imagen and May (Australia), Billy (Naw'leans), and K1 (India).  We had a great time.  Last night, we went to try some traditional Polish dumplings.  Hmm... Yum...  After that we headed back to the hostel where we drank some.  May saw these two Americans she liked so we helped her cook up a story to tell them to break the ice:  She was born in Austin and went to college at UTEP.
  After she graduated, she went to work for Dell in Round Rock, TX.  Needless to say, they didn't buy a word of it.  Her Australian accent kinda got in the way.  Oh well, we tried.  After the hostel, we decided to check out Club 70, a club that plays 70s music and has bottomless beers.  For whatever reason, they were playing crappy current American music, not unlike the ones we get in clubs in the U.S.  On the way to the club, Billy told us a joke that I'd be remiss not to relate:

Some dude was backpacking in Ireland, when he came across a bar.  He decided to go in and get some brews.   While drinking his beer, an old man by the name O'Brien came in, bought some beers and started to talk to the dude.  "You see this bar right here, lad?" he began, "I built it.
  But they don't call me O'Brien the bar builder.  You see that wall over there, lad?" he continued, "I built it.  But they don't call me O'Brien the wall builder.  You see that barn over there, lad?  I built it but they don't call me O'Brien the barn builder.  But you fuck one goat..."

I cracked up laughing.  That was too funny.

Anyways, we went to the club and had a great time dancing the night away.  We got home around 5 a.m and woke up around 8:30 a.m because the ladies had to catch the train to Krakow.  Then Billy and I decided to go to the Uprising Museum.  Took us an hour to find it and the bloody thing was closed.  Oh well, we tried.  We didn't care really.  We were bushed anyways.  So I went back to the hostel and slept the day away.  I needed it.

Warszawa has been great but it's time to move on.  Next stops, Krakow and Auschwitz.

P.S:  Some of those comments on the pictures were posted by some jackasses I told to watch my upload.  Either way, funny.
JeffWhit says:
Man, your future ex-girlfriend is hot.
Posted on: Feb 03, 2008
christianabolarinwa says:
I have to admit, the joke is funny. Big Mac.....come on Deji, you don't travel to Europe to eat the big M, try some of the local eats. nice post.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008
narala says:
Jeff, big mac is mcdonalds, not burger king. i do have some standards, you know. the local beers are actually pretty good. i'm usually done after only 5 pints.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008
my fucking bed what memories
my fucking bed what memories
my future ex-gilfriend
my future ex-gilfriend
Entrance to hostel (Oki Doki)
Entrance to hostel (Oki Doki)
Part of lobby