Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

Yesterday turned out to a really crappy day.  It started off well enough when I boarded the train to Berlin around 11 a.m.  After about 2 hours, the ticket checker came by.  I showed him my pass and he said it hadn't been validated.  So, I'd need to get off the next stop and validate, then wait another 4 hours to catch the next train.  Crap.  So, I alit at Deventer and got my pass validated, which took all of 5 mins.  Of course, the train was gone by then.  And the wait started.  I tried to lock my bags so that I could take a walk in the city.  No such luck.  The bloody machine only took some card that I couldn't buy.  I tried carrying the bag and walking the city but after 30 mins, I was done with that.

Finally, the train came after 4 hours and it was smooth sailing to Berlin.  Got to Berlin about 9:30 local.  Then I had to find my hostel.  Asked the dude at the train station for directions.  Take the TXL bus, he said.  Boy, what a mistake that was.  I got on the bus and rode to the end without finding my hostel on the way.  Then the really unfriendly bus driver told me it was the end of the line and I had to get off.  At least that's what I thought he said.  He could have called me an asswipe for all I know.  Finally found my way to the hostel around 10:45.  Needless to say, I was spent.  Ate some grub, had some brews and it was sleep time.

Today was much better.  Got to stepping around 10:30.  Took the train from Ostbarnhof to Unter den Linden.

Saw the Brandenburg gate and the Reichstag.  "Do you speak English?" someone next to me asked.  Yes.  First mistake.  She then shows me a postcard with the typical bum spiel written on it.  I gave her 2 Euros.  2nd mistake because now I was a complete sucker.  Less than a minute later, a little girl came to me with the same ploy.  She was too adorable so I gave her another 2 Euros.  Needless to say, more came along.  I later realised they were all together.  At the end of it all, I was out about 10 Euros.  What a bloody sucker I am.

Did the typical touristic thing.  Got on a bus.  I have to say I like Berlin a lot more than Amsterdam.  It just seems like a real city.  A lot of history in the place.  Also, lots of museum but since that isn't my thingy, oh well.  As usual, I'm going to digress to my pictures to say what I don't know how to.

Thinking of doing the pub crawl tonight.  You can take a gander as to what that is.  And it's off to Warszawa.

P.S.  The connection here is really slow so couldn't upload all the photos.  Will do that from my next cafe stop.

christianabolarinwa says:
Nice pics. Why aren't you staying at the "crowne plaza" big balla.....lol. Seriously...take some pics of the inside of the hostels you are staying in...I am interested to see what the inside looks like.
Posted on: Jan 28, 2008
JeffWhit says:
Ooops

Auschwitz is outside of Krakow, not Warsaw.
Posted on: Jan 26, 2008
JeffWhit says:
I saw your pic of the Holocaust Memorial ... If you want to see more World War II stuff, you can visit Auschwitz, which is just outside of Warsaw. I didn't go, but when I went to Europe last year a couple of guys who toured Auschwitz told me it's pretty powerful (although kind of depressing) because, for example, they saw the gas chambers where so many people were executed. One of the things I've learned about World War II was that more Polish Jews were killed by the Nazis than any other group.
Posted on: Jan 26, 2008