What I have been up to since my last update

Johannesburg Travel Blog

Hello everyone,

As anyone who has looked at my facebook profile will realise I am being questioned by certain people about why there hasn't been an update on here for so long. So here is an update....

Im now in Johannesburg, I arrived in this afternoon and am leaving tomorrow to go to Mauritius.

Since my last update when I had left Malawi and arrived back in Zambia I have travelled down to Livingstone, Zambia from Lusaka, crossed into Namibia, crossed back into Zambia, headed down into Botswana, headed back up into Zambia and finally flown from Livingstone to Johannesburg (today).

So what have I been up to during this time;

Well, when I first arrived into Livingstone I visited the Victoria Falls - managed to get absolutely soaked through, luckly I had taken my camera in its underwater case and so its fine. I also went white-water rafting down the Zambizi, which was amazing - I managed to fall into the river. I also went on an elephant back safari where I rode an African Elephant through one of the national parks near Livingstone.

Next I headed into Namibia, to the Caprivi Strip. I spent 3 weeks here completing a filed guiding/game ranger course, (FGASA Level 1 - for those in the know!). This was great fun and involved going out on game drives and walking safaris, although there was a lot of theory to get through. The camp we were staying in was on an island and due to it being the rainy season we were flooded in. They have been having one of their worst rainy seasons for a long time - the bridge to the small island our camp was on was at the highest point of the flood last year three-quarters (3/4) of a metre above the water level, this year its three-quarters (3/4) of a metre below the water!!! The camp itself was really cool, I was sleaping in a large tent with a proper bed in it. We had nightly visits from the local hippo which passed through the centre of camp - right past my tent. On the final day I had to do a wriiten exam to pass my filed guide course, this was fairly easy and i'm certain I have got the 75% needed to pass...

After leaving Namibia I returned to Livingstone for one night before heading down to Chobe National Park in northern Botswana. This was truely spectacular - I have never seen so many elephants in one place at one time, there were hundreds of them. I also saw lion, hippo, giraffe, loads of antelope and birds. I only stayed 2 days here but easily saw in terms of indiviudal numbers of animals more than I had seen in 3 weeks in Namibia. I stayed in a place called Elephant Valley Lodge.

From Botswana I returned to Livingstone where I spent 2 days. I went up in a microlight over the Victoria Falls which gave a really amazing view! I also visited the Livingstone Museum.

Today I left Livingstone and flew down to Johannesburg........and now I'm here.

Tomorrow I leave to go to Mauritius where I will spend just over 3 weeks, diving and viewing the wildlife. Hopefully I will be able to update this blog but I'm not sure what the Internet connection will be like there so who knows...

Anyway, over and out from mainland Africa!

Dominic