Day 1

Lusaka Travel Blog

I hope while I'm on this trip to have enough access to the Internet to keep this blog going so everyone can follow what I'm up to. (Time difference between UK and the countries I'm visiting in mainland Africa is only 2 hours)

I left home yesterday afternoon by train to Heathrow (via London) and got an overnight British Airways flight to Lusaka, Zambia (9 and a half hours). The flight wasn't too bad, we were delayed for an hour and a half as the wings of the plane had ice frozen over then. I did manage to get a bit of sleep on the flight but not more than 2 hours. While I'm talking about the plane, for my brother's information they are now showing Doctor Who on the BA Video on Demand system (he was discussing that before I left).

This morning when I got off the plane it was unbelievable hot and humid!!! However as it got to around 12 noon it started to rain, Zambia has been having very bad flooding like the UK (I have checked and where I'm going to in a few weeks at Victoria Falls is fine).

Being in the car from the airport to the hotel really reminded me of Kenya and Tanzania and I felt really glad that I was back on the road in Africa.

My international SIM card isn't working in Zambia and I don't expect it to work in Malawi (it should be working when I get to Namibia), so if you try and call me thats probably why you can't get me.

Tomorrow I have the morning here in Lusaka before getting an Air Malawi flight at 3pm from Lusaka to Lilongwe - the capital of Malawi. Not sure how much Internet access I will get in Malawi but I hope to keep you all updated with what I'm up to.

Right, I'm off to have a late lunch now at the Irish Pub thats in the hotel (with a fountain with live crocodiles in just outside the window!)

1,258 km (782 miles) traveled