Mak1ng L0ve in the Park; Man Eats Dog!

Tehran Travel Blog

View of Tehran from its northern suburbs, on my outing with my med student friend.

Let me tell you about my outing with the medical student I met on the flight to Iran … He took me out to one of the typical hill-parks in the north of Tehran, ie. teahouses dotted amongst green wooded parks which extend up into the barren slopes which will soon snow-bound.

Naturally we drank tea, people-watched and chatted:

·         As we walked close to a pretty duck-pond, he said “This is where people come to make l0ve in the park”.  Before I could blush, I realised couples were only holding hands and gazing into each others eyes.

·         On the sight of the only dog I saw in Iran I said “Because you’re Muslim you won’t know that Dog is hot food” (refer Yin and Yang blog).  To my surprise, he told me that he had tried dog once!  I couldn’t resist asking if it was halal slaughtered!  Do two wrongs make a right?  ie. non-halal slaughter of a prohibited food.

·         However, he had never eaten pork (unclean like dogs in Islam) because there are no pigs in Iran.  I explained that pork is so-so but he must try bacon.

·         Inflation in Iran is very high and “interest” (sic) at the bank is around 20%.  Of course it isn’t really interest (prohibited in Islam) but dividend or profit-share.  Interestingly (no pun intended), I had learned from a traveller that interest is a no-no for Christians too (in Exodus and Deuteronomy).  Oh, how we have strayed!

View of Tehran from its northern s…
View of Tehran from its northern …
photo by: Vlindeke