wine tasting and santa barbara

Los Olivos Travel Blog

Our early morning drive to wine country took us through California’s central valley of sprawling green hills and jagged mountains. We stopped at Foxen Canyon vineyard for our first tasting. My favorite was surprisingly a merlot, full-bodied yet remarkably smooth. After Foxen, we headed to Los Olivos, a charming community town full of tasting rooms and cafes. After a sandwich, we headed to jointly-housed Teansley and Carina Cellars, where we received nine wines for five dollars! These two rooms were the highlight of the day, offering richly complex wines that are easy on the palate. The staff at all the wineries were affable and knowledgeable without pretentious airs. A great experience for amateur and experienced wine lovers alike.

After tasting about twenty different wines, we stopped by Solvang�"a Danish town close-by�"before heading to Santa Barbara. The Germanesque houses and windmills were incongruent images for California, but it was kind of fun in a kitschy, childish way. Upon arriving in Santa Barbara we stopped in various surfer, vintage anointed shops along main drag State Street. While waiting on a table at Arrigato Sushi, we hopped over to Milk and Honey. This small tapas bar had a sleek aesthetic with pinkish red walls and dozens of the recently popular wooden wall shelves. We sat at the bar where our gregarious bartender whipped up delicious coconut mojitos, and Kim and I shared the amazing innovation of avocado hummus. I kind of wished we had stayed at Milk and Honey, as our long awaited meal was just average�"though multiple vegetarian options were available.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember much about our after-dinner adventures in Santa Barbara. My hangover the next day and a few pictures indicated I had a good time. Upon waking, we stopped by the simple yet beautiful Santa Barbara Mission, and I dipped my feet into the Pacific Ocean before heading down Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles.
Los Olivos