los angeles day 1

Los Angeles Travel Blog

beach in santa barbara
I suppose I should have told Kim about my carsickness because the abrupt winding of the road to Pacific Coast Highway was an insidious attack on my stomach. A trip to the bathroom and some Thai iced coffee revitalized me for the strange evening awaiting us. Unable to get decent reservations at our first choice restaurants, we booked a reservation at Tantra, an Indian restaurant on the border of Hollywood and Silver Lake. The place had a dark and sultry aesthetic, with obelisk doorframes and geometric art installations adding dimension to the purple and brown walls. The meal was average, my South Indian Vegetable Stir Fry an almost too zesty experience, and naan lacking the fluff of my New York favorites.
santa barbara mission
The service was pleasant and unobtrusive, and the meal, a budget friendly $35.

We called a cab and headed to Gabah, a recommended club in our guidebook. As we drew closer and closer to our destination, my uneasiness increased. The inconspicuous nightclub was in a desolate area of town, on the border of Hollywood and Griffith Park, and we had to be frisked before entering. With only fifteen people in the club, we decided to bail, getting the doorman to call as a cab, and head to more well-known territory, the popular dance club Area.

After tricking the doorman into letting us in�"the club is allegedly guest-list only--, we were greeted with a spacious, sleek dance club, full but not crowded. The club has taken hold of the modern museum-white aesthetic, with a silver dance floor and medium tinted lights flashing overhead. A cute mod painting filled one wall. The club played awesome 80s remixes and some contemporary hip-hop I didn’t know, but I rushed out when they played Duran Duran's "Rio", Kanye's " Stronger", and Blur’s "Boys and Girls." Though the girls weren’t wearing much clothing and the guys made erratic fashion choices, I had a good time doing my pseudo salsa and 80s dances.

area in beverly hills