Day Two - Packing it in

Tuxtla Gutierrez Travel Blog

Maybe with the claws?

After posting last night, I attempted to retrieve voicemail on my mobile phone.  At .59/minute, I didn't want to make too many attempts, but did go online to ATT and see what I wasn't understanding.  I know I'm "not in Kansas anymore," but I've gotten voicemails in several other countries, so it didn't make sense that I couldn't retrieve voicemail here.  After about 60 fruitless minutes, and getting nixed from the online help center, I decided to call it a day and get some much needed sleep.

I had a GREAT night's rest.  The beds here at the Fiesta Inn are not what anyone would even mistakeningly call soft, but they aren't granite slabs either.  Regardless, I slept like a rock for 9 hours.  At 7am my alarm alerted me that it was time to try and chat with ATT again.

Nah - we'll just beat it to death...
  So after logging in and waiting a few minutes, I got a pleasant agent online who was well-intentioned in his attempts to help me.  Unfortunately this led to a reset of my phone, which meant losing the voicemails that I was trying to retrieve!  After all that, the best info I got was a suggestion to call the service line in the US - an 800 number I can't dial from Mexico!  So, I was given a direct line, but at .59/minute, I decided I'd suffer without voicemail for two weeks rather than spend another $20 to learn I can't fix anything.  Oh well.

Breakfast was great.  The hotel has a large buffet with nearly anything you can imagine (except oatmeal).  However, thanks to the hour I spent online with ATT and the cold shower I had afterwards (the only drawback so far to the Fiesta Inn - there's only hot water in the sink!) my enjoyment of my first meal was held to a minimum.

Again, and again, and again.

After a brief production meeting, we headed out to retrieve our eqiupment from storage.  It took another hour for our truck to arrive and once it did, the driver didn't have keys for the padlocks.  But have no fear.  With a hammer and a bit of muscle apparently any lock can be broken.  We loaded the truck and headed for the venue, a large civic center meets community theatre type of place.

There are several interesting things about the place.  For one it's got a unique shape, actually indescribable.  I'll get pictures and post here in the next day or two.  But more entertainingly, their version of the international handicap placard lacks a certain cerebral quality.

We worked at rigging in while the set was being moved into place.

A debilitating headache.
  Predictably the set is based upon the cultural history of Mexico.  An Axtec calendar is probably the most interesting element.  After a couple of hours it was time for lunch.  So, we stopped down and were nearly out the door when we learned we had to be gone for the day at 4pm.  This was only 8 hours earlier than we'd been promised!  So, we skipped lunch and carried on.  Promptly at 4:00pm, the local theatre aduana came to usher us out.

By now the number in our group had climbed to 12, but we all managed to pile into the van that came to pick us up and 20 minutes later we arrived back at our hotel.  However, nearly all of us learned our room keys had been deactivated, and so after getting them re-striped (twice for some of us) we were finally able to freshen up and head to dinner.  We stayed at the hotel again for dinner and as they had a buffet, it seemed like the logical choice.  But after experiencing it, I think most of us agreed we'd order off the menu next time.  That's what we did last night and it seemed arguably better.

brendatravels2 says:
Hey, Kevie! Thanks for the email! Wish I got paid to go to the cool places you get to go to! I do love Mexico! Enjoy the sunshine for me, I am more than waterlogged right now from all the rain, rain, rain!
Love ya! B
Posted on: Jan 17, 2008
Maybe with the claws?
Nah - well just beat it to death.…
Nah - we'll just beat it to death…
Rocking History