Day One - No Sleep, Two Flights & One Layover

Tuxtla Gutierrez Travel Blog

Fiesta Inn - Tuxtla Gutierrez

After pulling an all-nighter practicing organization and packing skills, my trip officially started at 4am when a colleague picked me up on the way to LAX.  Our flight for Mexico left at 7am - actually Mexicana flight 903 left a few minutes early.  After an uneventful 3+ hour flight to Mexico City, and processing ourselves through immigration and customs, we made our way to the "B" terminal where we survived a 3-hour layover waiting for our connecting flight to Tuxtla Gutierrez.

Our connection was on "Click" which apparently is an adjunct airline of Mexicana's - similar to United Express or American Eagle.  They fly Fokker 70/100's down to Tuxtla and it was a fairly full flight, compared to the relatively empty flight we had between LAX and MEX.

Fiesta Inn Front Entrance

The new airport in Tuxtla has been built out of the city about 25-30 minutes, depending on when you decide to say you're in the city.  Having not been here since the early 80's, I was curious what differences I might notice.  Nothing wowed me.  It's still a very economically depressed location.  The most significant difference is the roads seem better and many homes have satellite dishes on them - which seems rather ironic.

We checked into our hotel - Fiesta Inn.  It's my understanding this is a new hotel, opening just a few months ago.  It's very modern, clean and comfortable.  And after the journey today, I'm ready for a good night's rest.  I'm a bit disappointed there isn't more of a south-of-the-border feel to the decor, but I don't think I'll be staying up to worry about it.

One word of caution - out of the 12 of us traveling together there was some confusion amongst the Mexicana employees in LAX as to whether or not we would be clearing customs and immigration in MEX or TXG.

Room interior - A
  It turns out that this confusion is the result of Tuxtla having had a immigration/customs hall for a few months at the end of '07, and then shutting it down.  So, be prepared to check your bags only to MEX, even though you'll be given boarding passes for travel onwards.  Then, after clearing immigrations and customs, you'll have to recheck in with your outbound carrier and recheck your bags.  Mildly annoying and inconvenient.

patirkc_AAA says:
I'm curious to rad more of your impressions on how Tuxtla has changed over a decade.
Posted on: Dec 08, 2015