L\'afrique -CPT- la premiere

Cape Town Travel Blog

I have been in Cape Town for almost a week now and after fighting off a cold which I probably caught due to the change of temperatures (when I left Germany night temperatures just started to dropp against 0 whereas I got my first small sunburn overhere today.)I have been exploring the city with friends and on my own.The heading "doing all the dont's in the tourist guide book " probably describes the past days best.:)

1st don't:
Went to a coloured bar in Brackenfell
Saw my old friend Roche again after 3 years and as another friend of ours worked in a "coloured"(I appologise in advance if anybody is offended by this word which seems to be politically incorrect in Europe but is widely accepted and used overhere.
If I can believe my guidebook the word is also apprecciated by the coloureds as they believe it's an expression of their identity amongst various ethnicity in a country that has 11 official languages

2nd:Take a taxi (which in Europe would be called minibus).

These taxi are manifold in their state as well as in colour and style of adherence to traffic rules by the driver inside. Although South Africa is more "westernised"than other countries I have been, the lack of transport infrastructure becomes apparent exspecially if you don't have your own mean of transpartions, i.e. me.Hence why I had to take a taxi to meet a friend not far from I am stayin. As I had heard loads of stories about them my heart was beating fast when I approached the taxi rank. Not only my strong European accent but also my short hair cut made it obvious that I was foreign.
Sweety palms in which I had the 5Rand travel fare.Luckily I wasn't alone at the taxi rank and the guy standing next to me, assisted me in getting from a to b to meet my friend. Riding a taxi was quite an experience although not as bad as most of the people make it :)...

3rd: Choose South Africa to start drinving on the left hand side when you have never done this before.

Last weekend we went to George, a "small" city ( in South African meassurements) along the Garden Route to pick up my friends car at his parents.Because it was foggy and as I was still recovering from going out on Thursdays as well as from my cold I slept the whole way on the bus.However after a weekend of being pampered and introduced to the South African braai tradition (barbeque with loads of yummy meat), we drove back through magnificient scenery and sunshine.It's amazing how mountanous the Western Cape is.Luckily the antique yellow Ford Cortina we drove back, kept well so that we arrived safe in Cape Town in the evening. I was quite chuffed as driving on the left with a manual car isn't actually that difficult.Don't know if I drove well though as you have to ask D who was clutching into the polster of his seat...haha...just kidding).
Cape Town