Out of Yemen; Into Dubai

Sana'a Travel Blog

Leaving Yemen

Leaving Yemen was sad for me.  Sanaa had been my home for 5 weeks.  I've never been to a school that's been so cool.  Where in the world would you find your teacher wearing a gun holster (with bullet holders) to class?

I also loved the climate in Sanaa ... at about 7000 feet the temperature was always perfect ... sometimes a bit warm in the sun by never oppressive.

I have grown very attached to my friends from Holland, South Africa, Finland, France and the USA.  We had enjoyed many meals together in and out of school.  I will always remember fondly the dinners on the balcony and the tea and cakes (Arab sweets) on the rooftop at night with the view of Sanaa by night.

I hope there will be another opportunity for me to visit Yemen for an extended period again.  I really do wonder about the travel warnings issued by even liberal governments like NZ.  They can't possibly be written by people who have real-life knowledge of these places ...

Dubai

We arrived in modern and cosmopolitan Dubai two days ago.  There are many westerners, Indians, Africans and Russians as visitors and as shopkeepers / traders.  Then there are the Arabs who look like westerners, Indians, Africans and Russians.  It is just so deceiving even for us ... we went into a shop run by Russians and somehow assumed that the people in the next were Russians too but they turned out to be whiter Arabs!

Our hotel is the middle of everything ... from electronics to car parts.  It was heaven for Kim.

bok673 says:
awesome write up! Maybe I will go someday.
Posted on: Mar 16, 2009
vances says:
Thank you so much for this brilliant insight into Yemen. I thought the Mid-East was so different...but Yemen seems completely alien to what I experienced. You are quite the intrepid adventurer!
Posted on: Sep 01, 2006