Thanksgiving abroad

Barnet Travel Blog

I had an awful Thanksgiving. I usually don't even like Thanksgiving all that much because it's just a day where my family all yells at each other about getting food ready, etc, and we seem to forget the being thankful about things part. I wasn't all that worried about missing it because of this. However, for whatever reason, ALL I wanted to do today was to be at home cooking food with my family, even if everyone was yelling at each other. It was so, so, so lonely. Most of my friends went out to dinner together at places that were serving American Thanksgiving food (Thanksgiving is an exclusively American holiday, if you somehow weren't aware, and none of the British people even know what it is or why we celebrate it), but I couldn't afford to go. So, I ended up staying home, eating left-over Chinese food in my room, alone, followed by a desperate series of unsucessful phone calls to people back in California.

SO, moral of the story-- if you ARE lucky enough to spend Thanksgiving with people you love, be thankful for it.

sdbleve says:
Isn't it funny how the things that drive you crazy when you are around them...are the things you miss them most when you are not. Hope the rest of your holidays go better. And try not to let yourself veg in your room.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2006