Homeward Bound - Frankfurt, Philadelphia, Columbus, and Home

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

LH 491 (A321) - So I'm up at 4:15 this morning (that's 10:15 PM back home on Tuesday evening) to grab a quick bit to eat and then head to Marco Polo Airport on the first shuttle bus from the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel.  Airport opens at 5AM and my flights at 6:35 AM (so much for showing up at the airport 3 hours before an international flight).  Breezed through the check-in line and security and had plenty of time to spare before boarding the flight back to Frankfurt.  After flying into Vienna on Austrian Airlines I'm flying back to Frankfurt on Lufthansa on an A321.  Again I'm in the back of the bus, but I've got 3 hours to spare before my flight back to the USA.  A short hop where I get my last view of the Venezian lagoon (an interesting view in itself) and of the Alps from the airplane as we head north over Italy towards Germany.

US 784 (A330-300) -  Passing through Frankfurt was a bit more interesting as this time I had some time to view the airport as opposed to just rushing through.  A very utilitarian airport although a few places had been spruced up in preparation for the World Cup.  Cleared security for what would be the second time today, got a sandwich and tea and read the international edition of the USA Today (at 2 Euros a scam if you ask me).  Finally was allowed to line up for entry to the boarding area for our US Airways flight back to the States.  Got checked-in and waited for boarding.

Flight was an Airbus A330 and for once we weren't completely full.  And amazingly my planning paid off a bit as I had an empty seat next to me in my center section of four seats in row 11 (I was seated in 11F, 11E was empty).  Room to spread out a bit.  My personal entertainment system was busted but wasn't really interested in the movies they were showing anyway.  Slipped on the noise cancelling headphones connected to the MP3, read a book for a while and then dozed off and on as we crossed the Atlantic.