Skiwi - Treblecone

Queenstown Travel Blog

So today was what we had been building ourselves up for......Treblecone......the weather and conditions were apparently the best on this mountain out of all four of the resorts we had been visiting, and this was the most difficult out of all four.  So there was a method to the madness in skiing The Remarkables, Coronet Peak, Cardrona and Treblecone - we were building up to the biggest mountain with the best snow.  This resort was the furthest out from Queenstown being nearly two hours drive each way.  Again, the drive is very scenic to the resort and the drive up to the mountain was quite breathtaking.

As soon as we got to the very top, got our lift tickets and stepped out onto the snow, I was quite overcome at the view.
  The beauty of the lakes, the mountains, the buildings with the steeples on them, and the bright sunlight made for a spectacular sight - it was what I would imagine a European ski field to look like.  Then, to add to the majesty, I looked up at the mountain at what was definitely the biggest mountains that we would ski on out of the four resorts in Queenstown.  I was quite literally gob-smacked at the view.  It was one of those moments where you simply don't say anything and you just drink in the moment.  We had to make the most of this day at Treblecone as we had one more last day of skiing that we wanted to do, but given Treblecone was so far away from  Queenstown we thought we would try either Coronet Peak or The Remarkables again for our last day.

Completing my first run was the most amazing feeling when I turned back around to see what I had skiied down.  I felt like I had improved over the past few days ten fold and felt great to think I actually skiied down this humungous mountain - without stacking it either!  The conditions were great for a day on the slopes and Ruth and I skiied a few of the different trails down the mountain and across to what seemed like a sunken canyon which was great.  This is undoubtedly the best ski resort I think I've skiied at (not that I've skiied at that many), but definitely out of the four resorts at Queenstown, this has to be the best pick.  It's a little more challenging but the views, location, the runs, and for the sheer magnitude of the mountains this was by far the most impressive.  I guess the weather we had was also great so this just added to the day.  Gunning down the hill with the sun in your face, wind in your hair was fantastic!!!  Although more of this mountain was graded as intermediate and black runs, I was comfortable on the moutains - you ski at your own pace and it's all good.  By the end of the day, I didn't want to leave........if we had more time, I would definitely love to go back to Treblecone..........

jessta says:
This is amazing. I must try this when i go back to NZ. :)
Posted on: Jan 22, 2008