Skiwi - Snowboarding 101

Queenstown Travel Blog

View from the top of the gondola
Today was our last day that we would be able to spend skiing.  We had to decided that the last full day that we had in Queenstown that we would want to do a day trip out to Milford Sound, so today we had to decide either to go back to a particular mountain or to try our hand at snowboarding.  We figured we had skiied at all four of the resorts and although we probably would have gone back to Treblecone to go skiing, we thought we should at least give snowboarding a go.  Neither Ruth or I had ever snowboarded before so it would be a new experience for both of us.  So we dropped off our ski gear and exchanged it for snowboarding gear instead.
  Mental note that the ski rental places in Queenstown are fairly flexible - you can swap your skis for snowboards at any time and just pay the difference if there is any.  After getting kitted up with the snowboards and gear, we had to decide which mountain to learn at.  We we advised that Cardrona would be the better mountain to learn on.  So off we went.

From the outset, can I say that I have never professed to be sporty in any way, shape or form.  I could be considered to be rather un-co-ordinated, and during our very first lesson at snowboarding, I managed to prove myself right!!!  Snowboarding learning had to be 100 times harder than skiing.  Although the instructor did warn us of this, but emphasised that you just have to keep practising and learning, and then all of a sudden, it will just click.
  Yep - but nope.  I reckon I would have spent more time on the ground on my bum or hunched over my poor wrists than I did on the actual snowboard.  Learning requires much much much much patience, and a well padded bum or strong wrist guards (which Ruth and I did not realise were something that might come in handy).  Two hours, a bruised ego and very sore bum later, we finished our first lesson.  We were going to have a break for lunch and then have another two hour lesson in the arvo.  At this point, I figured that I had had enough falling over and sore bum for the day, and I decided to head back to the town to do a bit of walking around and sightseeing as the whole time we had been there, we hadn't seen anything during the day as we had been skiing all day.  So I left Ruth to take the second class and I caught the bus back into town.
Luge track

Being a beautifully sunny afternoon, I wandered around the streets just looking at the stores and walking down to the harbour area.  I then decided to catch the gondola up to the top of the mountain to check out the view of Queenstown.  This was really great, particularly as the day was just so beautiful and sunny.  The gondola ride took about 10 minutes up the mountain.  On the way up, I was amused to see sheep grazing on the mountain a fair way up - I wondered how they got there as it seemed pretty high up.  At the top of the gondola ride, there is a restaurant and some shops and the most breathtaking view of Queenstown and the surrounds.  Of course, photo opportunities aplenty which you will be able to see.  On the way back, decided to also ride on the Luge which is also scenic.  I've never ridden on one of these luge carts before, so I was a little unsure considering they give you very little guidance on how to manourvre these luges except for the posters at the starting line.  God it was good fun though - definitely gives you a bit of an adrenalin rush, and of course, the scenic view of Queenstown just added to the whole experience.

Sunflower300 says:
I LOVED the luge!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2008
Luge track
What a view from the luge track!
What a view from the luge track!
Queenstown