Skiwi - Cardrona

Queenstown Travel Blog

After the shenanigans of the previous day, I don't know what still possessed me to want to keep skiing instead of having a rest day.  The two ski fields of Cardona and Treble Cone were much further away from Queenstown - approx 1.5 and 2 hours drive each way there and back.  But I really wanted to be able to make the most of the time and the ability to ski at all four of the resorts as I could.  So Ruth and I were off to Cardrona on our third day.  We had also met other skiers in the past couple of days who had all suggested that the snow was better at Cardrona and Treble Cone.  Both these ski fields were a little more demanding than The Remarkables, but we were up for the challenge!

Cardrona was a very pleasant resort and the drive to get there was quite scenic.  Thankfully, the weather conditions at Cardrona were much better than the previous day at Coronet Peak, which of course made the day far more enjoyable.  The views from Cardona are also the best out of The Remarkables and Coronet Peak - the trails are pretty well spread out across all sides of the mountain (except at the back apparently where they do a lot of the heli-skiing).  Good mix of the intermediate runs which I was comfortable skiing and made me feel like I'd made a pretty big accomplishment after skiing it.  Found the front runs to be fairly steep though, but managed to manourvre around them and got quite confident by the end of the day.
photo by: genetravelling