Amsterdam Nov 17-21st

Amsterdam Travel Blog

So, against my better judgement, I went with a buddy from Atlanta, his wife, his co worker Anita, and two of her friends(?).  I knew Alton, Dani, and Anita, but hadn't met Mike and Carla.  But you can't beat 600 for a round trip ticket from Austin, Texas to Amsterdam, so I was out of excuses.  On the long flight over, Alton and I were shushed by the flight crew and with some of the judges for the Cannibis Cup.  You would have thought the latter would have been cool about having a few adult beverages on a 9 hour flight.

• DON'T try to use the automatic kiosk for getting trains into the city.  It was a fruitless effort.  Just buy them at the counter.
  • DO use public transport along with a map.  Much cheaper than cabs, and many cabs will not take you along the streets in the center of town.
  • DO get an apartment through Mae's B&B.  Ken and Vlad the owners are fantastic.  And having a kitchen to store groceries for lunch and snacks goes a long way to mitigating the poor state of the dollar.  And a little privacy goes a long way in preserving the peace with large groups.
  • DO eat stroopwaffel.  Get it fresh, and set it on top of your coffee so it gets all gooey in the middle.  It will change your life!DO

• DO be sure to walk around, alot!  Amsterdam is a really unique city and should be experienced on foot as much as makes sense.

So, Anita was something of an innocent, and her friends liked giving her a hard time about it, so, of course we took her to the Red Light District for a stroll, a live sex show, and 'food' at Febo.

• DO make fun of anyone who doesn't know what Donkey Punch or Angry Dragon means...and quietly google it if you don't know.
  • DO have the Satay Croquet at Febo Automatieks, there is one in the RLD.  Cheap and easy, and dare I say it, a guilty pleasure.
  • DON'T bring an open beer into the RLD.  Apparently, prostitution, sex shows, marijuana, and mild hallucinogens are OK, beer is not.  Yeah, that is what I thought when the policeman informed me of that while standing next to a fountain shaped like a phallus in front of a live sex show.  I laughed, he didn't, so I just threw it away.  Go with the flow.
  • DON'T eat more than one space cake
  • The live sex shows are really kind of campy and hokey.

Check out the Rijksmuseum and see the Nightwatch for yourself, it exceeded my expectations.

For Koffeehuises check out De Rokerij down toward Leidseplein.  I do not partake, but I found it to be a really cool and unique place to hang out with those in our group who did.

Check out Sea Palace for dim sum, and The Pancake Bakery for dutch pancakes.

Amsterdam