Splitted apart

Dover Travel Blog

 › entry 116 of 144 › view all entries
May 8

So Nadine stepped off at a truck stop near Calais by the highway, we were still confident that she would be right behind us when we managed to reach the harbour, especially as we had quite a long time to wait before getting into our SeaFrance ferry.

Time went by and no news from Nadine, at a certain point I got worried. We called and exchange some message, and it happened that she got stucked and it was not working at all. So she somehow gave up and goes to Calais to sleep, aaahh crap. I felt so bad to at least not be stuck with her, especially as we only have few days together so it is a bit silly to be split apart.

I had to think about what I was doing, especially if I would cross back to France, continue further or do something else. Franki and me went onto the ferry and took the meal onboard. After that (I must say that the sea was quite shaken which was by the end not so pleasant) I decided to try contacting people, I gave a try on contacting Lee (HC: leecobourn) a member from the surrounding of Dover who is also Country volunteer. It would be an occasion to meet him as it didnt happen on the previous passage.

After few messages he welcomed me and explained me the way to his place. So I would do that and have a night sleep instead of worrying, then I could see tomorrow.

Franki, left me by the terminal in Dover and I walked to the train station to catch the train to Aylesham. Once at Lee, we discussed a little together and so on before finally going to sleep. It was nice to be fully welcome at a typical british home, even if I spent long in the UK, the brits are not so active so it is pretty rare. We would wake up quite early in the morning as he need to go to work and I would continue my journey until a Motorway Services to wait for Nadine to arrive.

May 9

Aaahh quite a great morning though, I received message from Nadine later on and she would try again, the result has been that it worked by nearly midday and she would join me further north along the road.

On my side, I was already on the road by 8am near Canterbury where Lee left me and I got a ride pretty fast and then another ride fast again until Clacket Lane Services. I messaged Nadine and told her to join me there. I waited for most of the day trying to kill time, and not be cold (the weather was quite chill).

Finally, Nadine arrived by the afternoon! That was great, and after some good hugs we went directly to the gas station to hitch further. We got a ride further west along the M4 (Newbury), so instead of taking the highway that brings us south to Poole we would try further west to come down through the more local way.

It took slightly longer to catch a ride direction south to Winchester, but we managed one with a woman! The first time I would be picked by a woman in England (the last maybe?).
We were back along the M3, more in the south. We didn't really know where to hitch from so we stood by the on-ramp as it was rush hour anyway. It worked we caught a ride that would bring us all the way to Branksome by the Tesco!
We did our grocery as there would be no food in the flat and went home, relaxed, took a bath together and went to bed not too late.

At least we were back together, all ended up great :)
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: vixen2306