Polish hospitality and the coast

Koszalin Travel Blog

November 24

I woke up early and left after Adrienne to hit the road fully ready, wearing my thermal underclothing and all the good reserve of food and drink. So warm and threat for the road.

I hit the road by 9am starting to walk out of town and I was surprised that it wasn't getting so well to be picked even if the road was clear and it was obvious that I was trying to reach the highway. After a moment of waiting a car stopped and the guy brought me directly to the highway, there it only took few seconds before someone else took me for a long distance in direction of Wismar into East Germany.

He was cool, young engineer who had travelled China as well. I introduced him into HC and we discussed on the way before he left me at a Rasthof... the only between Lubeck and Poland.
Pawel my host for a walk on the beach in Mielno

The day was chill and fresh but for a great luck it was sunny. So far I had enjoyed the greenness of the surrounding rural area. The fact that it was part of East Germany had left the region quite untouched.

From the Rasthof, I immediately talked to a driver who would take me to the eastern part of the Lander and that would do so after he had lunch with his wife.
It was a fast fast 190km/h ride and it went fast to do the few hundreds km further until the exit of Stralsund. Taken again soon after for few km more. I stood longer at the next exit due to a lack of circulation until a aged man took me to Neu-Brandeburg where he was going to get his daughter from University for the week-end. A typical east-german worker who never had the chance to travel around as I did and was so great to conversate with.
Baltic coast view
I somehow really appreciated the help and the thought that were coming out of him. He left me at the highway entrance and I had to wait for another ride, time was going by and it was afternoon already.

After some time another car stopped and it was a man that was going to see his mother at the hospital, he finally said he had quite time and he drove me all the way down to the highway that goes in direction of Poland. He was quite a nice helping ride and I presume that without it I wouldnt have make it easily to Poland. When he left me at the exit, there was only one more before the border... so I said bye and thanked him, went to pee in the bushes and started hitch-hiking again and within few cars its a polish truck driver who stopped for me. So we couldnt communicate but he brought me to the border, so that I could cross it by foot and took me again on the other side until Sczeczin which was several km further.
A healthy swim by late November

He was pretty cool and it was a nice ride, I always enjoy ride in trucks where you see everything from higher and in a smooth way.
At the border, the police came towards me when I was walking and were probably just at first annoyed to see another hitch-hiker coming over, as I was Canadian and they couldn't communicate with me they simply told me: Trampen, tank station 1 km.

From Stettin, I walked a bit from where the truck driver left me and I arrived to a place where there was some car parked with obviously prostitutes in it, with their pimp of so... well not necessarily the best spot to hitch-hike. They didn't pay attention to me and I walked a bit further until finally a car stop and a woman took me over for few hundred km on the way.  Some talk on the way with some history and then I could admire the mature forest on the surrounding.
Baltic coast in Mielno
.. its pretty much a rural area with great pine and old forest... I really loved the sight, especially with all the red leaves on the ground.

She left me later on at the exit of a village along the road... it was already starting to get dark and luckily I walked further along the road and another car stopped and was going further than my destination, so I would be to make it to Koszalin!!
We couldn't communicate again and he could only speak polish or russian, neither I could use. Still we manage to exchange a bit on the way and once in Koszalin, he left me at the train station in the dark evening where I would be meeting with my host Paul, If I could recognise him in the dark and crowd.

But I was in Koszalin by about 6hpm.

Since, it has been quite a continuous ride all day long.
On Mielno lake
I sat and took my peanut butter and bread out to make a sandwich until Paul send me an sms to meet him in his car that was  funnily just parked in front of me. So we met and went to his place where he welcomed me pretty greatly in his studio, offered me a huge soup with piece potatoes in it. It was tasty but such a big bowl. The rest of the evening we relaxed and talk, watching a bit the tv and having a beer before preparing a corner of the studio to sleep in.
So I met with Pawel (Paul) and his girlfriend Marlene who could only speak polish, I was actually their first guest and it was an honour for me to be there.
-----------
November 25

We woke up slowly and Paul, was quite a sleeper so it helped me to sleep longer as well.
Marlene was gone to get her sister and after that we were going to the coast in Mielno, when they arrived we weren't ready so it finally took long before we headed to the Baltic coast by mid-afternoon.

We walked a bit on the beach and I was astonish to see a lady going to swim!!
So we visited the balnear city which was slightly awful and pretty empty but the fresh winter alike weather. We stayed until dark and finally moved back to Koszalin to eat before later going to Bialogard to bring Marlene's sister and stop by at Paul's parents. There we had some local made fruit wine and so before getting back to  Paul's place.

The time was pretty calm and easy going.
-----------
November 26

That day was the most lazy, its only by late afternoon that we drove to a hill nearby where there was an old chapel visited by the pope 10y earlier. The tower on this same hill was closed so we couldnt climb to have a view but instead we went back in town to walk the streets of Koszalin by dusk. A bit awkward city, quite nice, but not well developped... well typically eastern european... with grey buildings and so. But still really amazing spots!

In the evening, I worked on the net to get some contact for Gdansk on the coming days. And we will see where I will stay.
I would need the sleep as tomorrow the wake up call would be at 6-7.
Baltic coast beach in Mielno
Pawel my host for a walk on the be…
Pawel my host for a walk on the b…
Koszalin