Fire play, fog and amazing spooky atmosphere

Gdansk Travel Blog

November 27

I had still the time to prepare since I woke up early and Paul let me the time to prepare. When he came back to get me I was fully ready for the road with lunch and clothes. Lets charge.

He let me at a spot at the edge of town and finally it went pretty fine, somewhat like 15 minutes later a car stopped and the driver was going directly to Gdansk, some 300 km further. So first he needed to stop for gas, we did on the way and talk as well.

Therefore, I arrived quite early in Gdansk I was in town by 11ham and been left at the train station. I finally sms Anya (HC:phoebe78) who had once invited me to go to her place and she came to pick me by midday. At first I didnt know where I would be staying but later that day, I worked on the net and slept as well.

Anja as a host
When she was back from her job she said she wouldnt have to go to the doctor that week and I could stay over.

I also had contacted Lukas (HC:lukasvegan) who had offer to meet up and since he teaches english he asked if I would be interested to go to his class and talk with the kids. So Anya contacted him and I would be meeting him by 5hpm at the school place.

So later by the afternoon I started walking in that direction, going through some huge communist concrete building complex. I found it amazing, it so well planned and the pictures on the wall of the building the whole atmosphere. There was something strange and attracting about it. I definitely need to go back to do some pictures.

I met with Lukas and for few hours I talked with young polish kids in English, as best as I could.
Me as the guest
Of course without knowing at all what to talk about. :S Anyhow it was a funny experience.

After the class, Lukas called Anya who came to pick us and we were suppose to go to eat at his place after we visited a friend. But it happened that he forgot his key.. hehe
So he couldn't cook his vegan meal.

He came with us to Anya and would sleep there for the night. So he cooked us an improvised meal there and we talked late before sleeping. A pretty cool guy who has is way in every helping sector in town. Great!
November 28

I woke up by late morning and finally didn't feel to get out and been lazy most of the day. I used the Internet by the afternoon and that until Anya came back. Its only then that I went out to walk in town in direction of the meeting point I would have where Lukas was meeting a bunch of people to go for a Poi fire show (just as Dylan does).
And a big old-coal heater as the attraction

I walk in the city (suburban part) and witnessed an odd thing... I just saw a girl being run over by a car. She was hopefully fine, but the whole situation was quite awkward and disturbing. It was quite a shock, as there was not really many people around I was wondering for a while what I should do. Luckily there was some other people who could help.

I finally continued my walk and arrived quite shock at the meeting point, since Lukas was quite busy I didnt even get to talk too much with him. So we simply went and found a spot where they would play tamtam and give a fire show. It went for some 2 hours but it was slightly cold and starting to be freezing a little afterwards.

Most people just went away and I went with some and Lukas to his place by train for some talk and some vegan food, as it was promised the previous day.
This makes a good show!

Later on I went back to sleep at Anya, riding the train for one stop more.
There was some big fog in town, and the sight was amazing it looked like in a witch movie with the empire style architecture in the fog and the dead city.
I loved it!
November 29

I took long again before starting to move, and its by afternoon that I went to the historic downtown to meet with Agata (hc:magata).

I walk to there but finally had to hurry a bit to be on time, so I met Agata but things were strange at first as she seemed stressed and in a hurry so we walked in town but she didnt want to stay in the touristic old town and we walked further on some other spot which were pretty cool. Although it went quite fast at first... I guess that the study time is indeed a stressful period to meet HCer

She was quite going fast and mostly always being few meters ahead and I needed to join her back when she was talking.
A little view while heading to town
We did walk around the old Vauban alike fort area  though until dusk and it was cool, I enjoyed the view pretty much and the sunset was great. Later on, we went for tea and she also gave me a polish sim card which is really great of her. Though it left us on a awkward moment has she was in a hurry to go watch some romanian movies in cinema with her friend, so I got stressed and hurried to put the card on my phone to test and I was first copying my contact number aside cause as I expected I didnt remember my pin code :S.
So it made me in a well stressed mood... But that last short since I contacted Frank who looked for it and sent it to me by email so everything was back in normal at last. Oufff!

Anyhow it was really great of her and I'm sure that the next time we would meet would bring a greatly better encounter :)

I went to get some grocery and back to Anya with the train.

View on the Cranes
She was back and there was a norvegian guest as well (who knew vikingbeard). He was cool and funny though.
We ate a bit and drank by evening and talk. It's been cool and finally I felt asleep quite tired.
November 30

I went out only by midday, to have a long walk along the harbour, taking pictures of the graffiti and reaching the old town by nearly dusk. So it was a refreshing day and I came back with the tram and used the computer.

Usually there was suppose to be a HCmeeting but I didnt hear any news about it, I was slightly in no social mood and I sticked like a lazy potato to the couch. Finally, Anya went out by herself and I stayed home and slept and use the computer... quite calm!

It was also the birthday of my Brother. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMMY! Hope things goes great with your little family and all my greetings! :)
I would have like to call but I noticed that I can't do so from the polish public phone :/
Anyhow, all my thought goes on!
December 1

Roughly lazy.
Dusk view of old Gdansk
.. tv and computer. I went for a walk by the end of the afternoon to have fresh air and to get some food to cook a new recipe. Rice - red beet - peaches - zuchini... it was pretty tasty and I just made it up with what I saw.

After the meal, we (with anya) went for a night walk of the historic downtown before stopping to get a typical snack (a kind of grilled cheese) and some beers to take once back home. It was a relaxing evening and I planned my route and made my laundry dry.
Tomorrow back on the road!

maplefanta says:
No Worries, I'll correct my mistakes! ;)
Posted on: Dec 07, 2006
Me as the guest
And a big old-coal heater as the a…
And a big old-coal heater as the …
A door!
A door!
A mini!
A mini!
Plenty of tube
Plenty of tube
Bus cliche
Bus cliche
HOHOHO in a Chemnee near you!
HOHOHO in a Chemnee near you!
SKM Tri-city interurban train
SKM Tri-city interurban train
Grafitti show near the harbour
Grafitti show near the harbour
Grafitti show near the harbour (1)
Grafitti show near the harbour (1)
Graffiti tour in the harbour distr…
Graffiti tour in the harbour dist…
Graffiti tour in the harbour distr…
Graffiti tour in the harbour dist…
Daily things