Beloved Leuven again... HC meeting and Lubbeek

Leuven Travel Blog

February 27

The guy who brought me to Leuven was quite nice, once arrived nearby the Stadspark I noticed that things had already changed since last time I was in town, new buildings, new offices and especially a new school. It's such a dynamic city!

Stan was awaiting me in front of the ParkPoort Frietkot and we brought some of his stuff to his room before heading to Lubbeek, at his parents place to meet with them. It had been a really long time since I had seen them. First I met with Adriaan, then later on with Bernadette who arrived while we were having a tasty traditionnal belgian meal (witloof).
Tasty.

Surprisingly Veerle arrived as well and that was great, even if we had some bad start when we lived together in Kessel-lo it was all great to talk together. She wasn't believing that we would meet ever again. And finally talking with Geert as well. Especially chatting about the traditionnal World map standing on the wall... which had been subject of talk several time on previous visits :D

It was a nice time, and the wind was blowing strong outside. But in this quiet country house it was all calm. I slept there and the next morning I would head back to Leuven itself.
---------
February 28

I slowly prepared and took the bus to Leuven by midday and walked around town, I was looking to do some shopping and I ended up finally buying the stuff I needed from Kruidvat. Then I simply went to walk in the neighbourhood of my old appartment building on Brouwersstraat and the park standing next to it: De Bruul. It has changed so much since 2002, there is no bushes, new playground, more clean...

Sigh, that was lots of happy memories... especially in the lobby of my old appartment building.

I walked around town then and managed to find a jersey for 5euros at the Mertens Sports shop on Mechelsesstraat, I think they were closing down. It would be another figure of the time I lived in the city that would disappear. Slowly all my memories of Leuven would vanished...

After this, I headed to Stan's room to leave my things and while he needed to go to class I stopped at the PC class on Dekenstraat before going to the HC meeting I organised for the evening. The good news, was that I received a mail from another member that would want to come... so I answered her.

I went to De Weerelt on Oudemarkt, where I used to hang the previous years for a drink and reading. Now I was back and waiting the people to come for the meeting. First there was a blackout in the café so it was all lighten with candles.

I sat at the bar and ordered a white beer, Joeri arrived (HC: joerifrombelgium) and Annabel did so later (HC: annabelgium). We finally took a table and reserved few seats as the café was getting crowded. A new member arrived, studying in Leuven and coming from Nigeria (HC: papaje)... cool and it's the first time I met with a member from africa and later Anna (new member as well) came with a friend (her friend became member not long after!). We have a couple of drinks and talked together, Stan came shortly too but watched soccer most of the time.

Afterwards we all went for lunch, around midnight at a new Indian Restaurant who opened on the square. It was sooooo damn spicy! I didn't like it. I discovered what was curry and burned my tongue! So I couldn't enjoy the meal.
------------
March 1

Stan left, I said bye to him and till next time and by the end of the morning I packed and walked out of town to K. Boudewijnlaan to start hitch-hiking back to Brussels. Enjoying some pastry while waiting in the shiny sun. It didn't take too long before a car stopped and brought me direct to Jubelpark area.
Leuven