Back to working trends

Poole Travel Blog

Condor crew: Aimee
The pictures are some images from my work on the ship and some colleagues I was working with, taken while we did an empty sailing.

July 22 - 23 - 24 - 25

Working routine on a St-Malo sailing... all with overtime!
July 26 - 27

Days off, with nothing specific to tell about (yeah its indeed making a crappy blog then!)

July 28

The ship sailed as usual, on a first morning sail, but with delay and one engine broken... so we got overtime and arrived late.

It's the pm crew that had to deal with the rest.
-----------
July 29

Awful day and awful week... the fleet is all delayed, our rosta as well. We've been sent to the Condor Express, the Condor Vitesse having 2 broken engines. The Condor Express has collide with another vessel.
Malcolm evilish Food supervisor
.. the ship is ugly and we also need to turn back to go to Guernsey as we had forgotten something behind.  (Which was actually someone we left behind, a french child...).

The hours accumulate on a long shifts while we were suppose to only work on Vitesse (and therefore not arriving in WEYMOUTH at 3am) on the Cherbourg run and be able to enjoy the fact that at last the good weather and sun started to show up over England!
It's shit and it breaks all planning... it seems that I will keep a pale look not having any chance to tan.
PS. The Condor Express is ugly! (it made me feel like I entered a set of That 70 show, and its annoying when you are not familiar with your ship.)

It looks though that this very week will have brought us nearly 100 pounds of overtime.

July 30 - 31

We have been switch to the PM shift, which brough us loads of overtime but destroyed all our planned according to a AM shift. That was a bit rubbish.

So we were suppose to work only 6 hours but we ended up doing a 12hours shift instead and to make it worst the ship arrived late every day making it with overtime. So by the end of that shift we will be embarking again for a PM shift which means we will have been 3 weeks in a row on PM.

Luckely though one of those sailing was empty on the way back, so it gave us the chance to simply sit down and wait for the ship to arrive back in the harbour, this is the day the pictures were taken. We still had to clean though but once that was done it was trying to sleep at your job place!
August 1 - 2: Days off sleeping in my tiny british row house bedroom
August 3-4-5-6: working PM shift days, which means we all lost our chance to have some longer days off (finishing late) and make a good point of it.
Tracey, Cafeteria
All these days were also bringing overtime.
August 7 - 8: Days off doing nothing in Poole
August 9

Back to the morning shift at last, and great sunny day in Poole. Tonight I'm having a host whom I met at the Traben-Trarbach camp (as the infamous axe man in the photoshoot). He travelled around with his mini smart and when I arrived back in Poole harbour he called so that I tried to explain him the way to meet up in town and went home to change. He called back and we manage after few attempts to meet in the park.
So we finally managed to find him a parking spot after we went to Tesco to get some food. Then back home we simply relaxed in the garden, cooked a decent meal and talked there, later we did talk with Natasha. Of course, as I was working tomorrow I couldnt make it long up and was getting tired.
Phil
Anyway the evening went on and I had to go to sleep.
August 10

I woke up early to go to work and my guest left as well early so that he could drive all the way to Dover to cross to France, so he ended up leaving before I did.
I went to work and was in an annoted mood. At least Cherbourg goes quick and I could be back home where I felt asleep eventhough it was a greatly sunny day.

So I woke up again by the middle of the night, which is not good to get a rythm.
August 11
Another working morning, but in the afternoon I had the chance to meet another member from CS, so that was cool and broke the lazy routine I was on. We met in the park in the late afternoon and walk around talking about everything and her experiences back in the UK as she also lived in Australia ending the day with a fish n chip in the garden.
Oli (all taken on a empty sailing)

It was a pretty cool evening.
-------------
August 12 - 13
Working day, last one, followed by a quite nothing special day off!
-------------
August 14

My sleeping schedule are all mixed now and I don't sleep with a quiet soul. Which makes my days difficult and annoying. So it is not nice.
Yesterday and today were quite rough thunderstorm days... so there wasn't anything special to do and no reason to go out.

I worked on the computer and so on, I also officially wrote my farewell and disappointment towards Gil today, and sent her the message for once! Although wishing to be with her, it was a rough evening then and my thought were going towards that but also my frustration of the past years and her action and way of treating me. I miss her and I hope I can learn to forget about her existence.
August 15

A long shift and it was a wild sea, so I have been sick and it killed me. At least I was alright on the way back, it is so rough to keep on working and keep on being steady and ready in such condition. I proved that I can but it also requires me a certain recovery time at a certain point. We also arrived pretty late back home, I could eat later during the sailing and work but I'm getting tired and my motivation and moral in such condition is just low and you can take less negative orders.

That especially since on a ship, you don't have time for yourself and there is always someone around and you usually have to keep working constantly... at least other people watch.
August 16
Damn that I'm tired, it has not been as rough as yesterday but I have been lazy. these long shifts are killing me and I'm looking forward to be moving out in a few days and to something else. Eamonn called me in the middle of the day while I was at work, he's such a complicated life.
August 17
working working working, and I want to the shop during the day to hurry up and buy some stuff to bring to Canada. I gave what I could to work hard and do it in a mechanical way. At least I have nice chat with my colleagues, helping them as well, but the ship is busy.
August 18

Last day before Canada, I worked hard and helped the other ones and had nice chat with my colleagues, the ship didn't arrive late so I didn't have to worry about missing my bus or plane!
The great surprise is that I received a gift, a whole box of gummy bear from Kelly and Elannah who were working at the first class lounge as a thanks for having helping them the past days eventhough I had it as a rough at the beginning.
I was surprised by this gesture and really touched. It was really great of them, and then I had loads of sweets for the airport!

Its a bit the thing on the ship, the description of the tasks isn't extremely well done and often someone has to do way too much while another one could get a more relax time and that all depends of the sailing conditions. In a way its shitty to be egoist as you spend all the time with the people you are working with so it would just make even your life sad. So you do what you can!

And now, a break and off to Canada!

Poole