Another sailing route: Jersey and Brittany

Saint Helier Travel Blog

Condor 10 in St-Hellier Jersey
Occasionnally, on the way to St-Malo we stop in St-Helier - Jersey. It is the port we sailed the least this season though (on my case).

Jersey as an amazing rocky cliff coast when you approach it. It looks pretty much like the coast of St-Malo except that the rocks are more orange.

Once in the harbour though you see nothing, you can't even distinguish where the town is as the harbour looks more industrial. So there is not really any particular views.
I have not been to Jersey either, I plan to though, but so far I only stepped to the terminal to accompany a disabled passenger.

The annoying thing to sail to Jersey though is that its the furthest one of the Channel Islands, so when we are leaving it we know that it will be long hours without any interuptions before we reach Poole.
Jersey bag pod
While Guernsey offers the fact that there is less than 3 hours left home when we leave!

I shall try to take some pictures from the ship during the season.

TOPIC: About Seasickness!
Yes it is awful, it is actually the only recognised symptom that can eventually lead a sane man to suicide (not in the case of simply being on a crossing ferry though!). In one side, the motion sickness has a lot to do with the mind... the moment you think about it, you certainly will have it. If you manage to be too stress or busy with some other tasks or thought you would manage to not even realise there is motion around you and be safe from it. It works, I did save myself from it by being busy working a couple of time. But we have to admit there is huge limit to it if you aren't born with a sea-leg (And I'm definitely not!).
Along Jersey coast

Well the sea-sick tablets are good and efficient, but it is still medication. So when you work everyday on the ship, I don't feel like having to take medication nearly everyday. Although I'm still rarely sea-sick... it has happened only during storms time. The worst being at the end of June when we had storm for a week. So I was going to work everyday and being sick every day, so it ended up that it was useless for me to even think of having a breakfast or eat whatsoever. I lost weight, was tired, dizzy, with a lack of energy and not so efficient.

How did I finally managed it on the last days, I used the wrist band! Well I must say it really works. It is a cotton wrist band with a weight on it that press a specific point of your body. Most likely I would guess that it acts as an acupuncture thingy which helps for equilibrium.
Sailing Along Jersey Coast

During that end of June storm window, the ship was cancelled some shift (but never ours) and one of our sailing was so bad that we simply sailed to Jersey and not to St-Malo. Everyone was sick, including me afterwhile, with above 3 meters wave and motion it is hard to neglect that moving trend when you end up seeing water water and then sky sky (by the motion) while looking through the window.

Some food and other tricks quite help to keep yourself in a better state, here they are:
- Salt & Vinegar chips
- Ginger (Ginger ale drinks for example)
- Keeping yourself as cold as possible
- Water and Ice
- Looking perpetually at the horizon
- Fresh air and thinking of something else.
The moment the ship will arrive in port everyone will always gain colour and feel better... but as long as the movement goes and if you end up feeling sick, the cycle has started and you will be until the motion stops. So if you think that because you feel sick you may try to make yourself vomit to get better, wrong idea! The problem is not your stomach!

tvillingmarit says:
Would like to see some pic from Saint Helier. I viseted Jersey in 2000 and 2001, first time studying English. I have misslaied my pic.
Posted on: Jul 18, 2007