Swięta Lipka

Swięta Lipka Travel Blog

After breakfast we checked out of the Kipnick Pensjonat and headed on our way.

Our first stop was Swięta Lipka with an important shrine to the virgin Mary.  They were having mass while we were there so I couldn't take pictures inside the church.  It was amazing - the church was completely full.

When trying to park there I was approached by a kid signalling to me to park in a particular place.  I didn't understand what he wanted - and didn't obey.  This lead to an interesting cultural interchange between me and my Polish friend Michal about obedience! (and positive thinking!) :-)  I was convinced that this was some sort of effort to extract money from me!  An interesting thing to see here - that I missed out on - is the organ in the shrine.  I think it must be the only animated organ in Europe!  When certain notes are played, some of the figures decorating the church move.  I will be back to check that out!  There are organ concerts daily.

I need to find more info about this place and its shrine.  The area is beautiful.

boxinbcn says:
Thanks Kasia! I wasn't sure about that! I am still working on the Ketrzyn part of the blog! It's a beautiful part of Poland.
Posted on: Jan 15, 2008
kasia_poland says:
Hey, you know, my hometown is Kętrzyn near Sw. Lipka:)
Actually those boys standing near the church are really popular, when there`s no place on normal parking, you can leave your car somewhere near trees etc and then they watch for it (you just give them some money):)
Posted on: Jan 15, 2008