Start of the trip

Nairobi Travel Blog

Inside the truck

After struggling for ages for a place to go on holiday, my friend had the idea of going to Africa! As you can imagine I was slightly dubious about gong here but after she showed me the tours we could do I was really excited! We booked the overland tour with African Trails ( as after looking round these turned out to be the cheapest and the tours they did looked amazing! Because of uni we could not go on one of the longer tours, so decided on a 25day trip that started in Nairobi and ended at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. With local fees this trip cost about £600.

We flew from heathrow and landed in Nairobi quite late at night, this I have to say was terrifying! We had prebooked a taxi to take us to the hostel, (which was where the truck was picking us up from in the morning), but still jumping in to a random car late at night in Nairobi was scary! we got stop once or twice by the police, all holding huge guns, so they could have a look in the car and see where the guy was taking my friend and I.

I was really relieved when, at the end of a very long dirt track, we arrived at the hostel, Karen camp. It was exetremely lively, with lots of backpackers and load music. We didnt hang around to socialise, but headed straight to our room to sleep.

The next morning we woke up and headed outside to meet the truck.there was already 11 people on the truck they were doing a longer trip so had already been north to uganda etc. Our driver and tour guide was Gavin, he and everyone else on the truck were very friendly and welcomed us into their group.

We werent staying in Nairobi for another night so we set off on the journey towards Tanzania...

livelovelaugh87 says:
Would you reccommend that hostel? I'll be in Nairobi for just a few days and I'm traveling alone...
Posted on: Nov 23, 2009
christopher_daubercy says:
verry nice i think of doing it also..
any advise of trip to do? i have around 5 weeks
Posted on: Mar 25, 2009
stacey0204 says:
Nope, that made the trip more expensive! coz i flew into niarobi and out of Zambia, i think the flights were about £700 with BA. still worth every penny! I should really finish the rest of this blog! :)
Posted on: Apr 28, 2008