Under the sea

Pulau Perhentian Travel Blog

I was blown away by how clear the turquoise water was when I first arrived at Malaysia's finest backpacker beach resort.  The first glimpse of the liquid crystal convinced me to take my open water diving course.   I chose to do the course in three days which was a pretty packed schedule which left me little time do do much else.  I chose Dragon Divers because the East Indian instructor from Winnipeg was stunning.  Unfortunately once I signed up I found out that she was married to the Aussie owner.  The course was fun even though I had to deal with a very outspoken Polish guy who was on the course with me.  Unlike the magical water along longbeach, the visibility at the dive sites was not very good.  People say that you know right away if you are going to be a dive freak.
  I thought it was OK but I would sooner be on a rock wall any day.

The nightlife was pretty weak on the Island.  Particularly in the north, Malaysia is a Muslim country.  There is no locally brewed beer and the imports are heavily taxed.  Even though prices are cheaper than home most people coming from Thailand are up in arms over the rediculous prices.

It was common to see giant Montidor dragons.  The highest density seemed to be around the guesthouses living off human garbage.  I went on a hike through the dense forest to the other side in search of some in a more natural setting but came back disappointed.

This is truly a beautiful place and probably the nicest beach I have seen in Asia but it was a little to quiet for my liking.  If you don't mind a lakc of nightlife I would give this place a highly recomended rating.
jessm says:
Any advice on how you traveled between here and Thailand? :)
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011