Turned back

Mount Kinabalu Travel Blog

At about 4100m mount Kinabalu is the highest peak in south east asia.  Several people told me that the two day adventure was a very rewarding experience.  Former travel friends, Gen and Lee, highly recommended the hike as well.  When I saw their pictures of the sunrise I was sold.  Like most people I arrived at the part early looking for a group to split a guide with.  I met up with Ian from England and two other guys but I can't remember their names because I am about a month and a half behind writing this.

We were all pretty excited at the start but our spirits were dampened quickly.  Friendly folks coming down in cold weather gear informed us that no one had been allowed to the top in four days because of rain and wind.
  The wind picked up as we ascended and the visibility due to fog was probably about 10 meters.  By lunch on the first day we pretty much gave up hope on getting to the top.  We were freezing when we arrived at the unheated lodge.  About the only thing that went well that day was that one of the guys in our group as a local and he got me the buffet for local price (90% off).  As we ate it started to rain.

We were not staying in the main lodge but rather one a few hundred meters up the mountain.  The walk to our lodge was horrendous.  The winds were blowing at 100 mph, temperature was 5C, and the rain was coming down in sheets making the sloping rock face very slippery.  I was chilled to the core when we got there.  I stripped out of my wet stuff and when straight to bed at about 6:00 to thaw myself out.

As expected we were not allowed to climb to the summit on the second day.  It was a long day for my knees walking down the endless steps.  Being a sucker for punishment I vowed to come back another day when the weather was better to concur the mountain.  Lesson earned for the rest of you: ask around about the weather because no one selling the accommodation or even at the park headquarters gave us any warning that no one had been up in several days.

Travel mates: Ian (England)
Mount Kinabalu