AsiaLaosPakse

Good beans, bad coffee

Pakse Travel Blog

Coffee picking

The Bolaven Plateau is the covered in coffee and tea plantations with beautiful waterfalls scattered throughout.  Paces is the main city in the area which makes it the typical stopping point for travelers heading south.  The town is quite bland.  However, the slow pace lowered my beggar guard which allowed for some interesting insight into daily small town life in Laos.  We found a nice cheap Korean BBQ restaurant where locals went for special occasions.  These style restaurants have been some of my favorites so far.

The coffee served in most restaurants in Laos is horrendous.  Like most gave up on it after giving more than enough chances in several cities.  The syrupy black hole always swallowed condensed milk without a hint of color change.

I had heard that most of  what they severed was not grown in Laos so I was curious to see what the coffee was going to be like on the Bolaven Plateau.  We did a day trip to a coffee plantation and a few of the waterfalls.  I had never seen a coffee plantation before so I found the sort tour interesting.  I was disappointed that they did not serve some of the local brew to try.  We pasted through a small market on the way to the highest waterfall in the country.  They were selling coffee beans and grounds everywhere but we were flabbergasted that not a soul was selling a mug full.  I ended up buying a small bag and convinced one of the shanty restaurant ladies to brew it up for us.  She made it so strong it stained our teeth black on contact.  I could not handle more than a couple sips even when I doused it with sugar.  So I guess it is the lack of technique and maybe not the coffee that makes Laos coffee the worst I have ever had.

The surrounding waterfalls were nice but not the most spectacular I have seen so far.  At the end of the day my time in Pakse was a little bland and if I did it again I would have bypassed it completely and headed straight to the much more interesting 4000 islands to the south.

Coffee beans