Buddha park and not much else

Vientiane Travel Blog

Dominic and I ventured to Vientiane more out of necessity to get to the south than a preferred destination.  The city was surprisingly urban by South East Asian standards and was quite nice but there was not a whole lot to do.  BEcause of lack of options we went to Patuaxi, the wannabe Arc de Triumphe.  The sign at the bottom of the concrete brink was surprising honest in saying that they had big plans for the monument but there was political unrest during it's construction so it was simplified and the final product is much more bland than the original plans.  I would not suggest walking here unless you had absolutely nothing to do.

We had to wait for the night bus to Pakse on the following day so we had a second day to kill.  We went out to the very worthwhile Xieng Khuan (Buddha Park) an hour south of town.  The football field sized park was absolutely packed with Buddhist and Hindu sculptures.  There were a wide variety of images due to the inclusion of Hinduism which was a nice change from the endless repetition of identical Buddhist images that I have seen so far.

If I was doing this again I would have gone to the Buddha park the same day of arrival and continued to the south on the night bus on the same day.

This journal entry is a draft and has not been published yet. Please check back later!
Vientiane