Artsy Culture

Ubud Travel Blog

Ubud is the artsy cultural center of Bali.  The streets are lined with high quality cheap restaurants and art shops full of local abstract paintings and wood carvings.  I thought of Rome while roaming the streets here because it felt like a living museum.  Every home was build in traditional Balinese architecture and had beautiful gardens surrounding their personal Hindu temple for prayers.

The monkey park was sensational.  If I had an endless amount of money I would have something similar built for my daily pleasure.  The thick bright green forest was crawling with long tailed Macaques.  There were a few temples but the creepy animal statues covered in moss were the highlight for me.

I loved that the Hindu Balinese art and temples were all unique from each other.  After being bored with the repetitive Buddhist temples earlier in my trip this was a welcome treat.

We had a great day walking through some adjacent villages and rice terraces.  It was not just the small children who were excited to see us, even grown men giggled like school children at the sight of two waving white guys roaming through their village.  Art was boss in these parts.  We stopped in to several places were paintings, carvings, and marks were being created for the tourist shops in Ubud.

Not satisfied with the amount of Bali that we had seen but feeling the pressure get moving west sooner than later we decided to take an organized tour to some of the surrounding local attractions on the Island.  This ended up being a great decision.  The majority of the tour was going to Hindu Temples but also included some views of beautiful rice terraces and a mountain lined lake.  Unlike the temples in Thailand and Cambodia these ones were filled with practicing locals as opposed to swarms of tourists.  The cleansing rituals in the communal pools were particularly interesting.

If you are looking for a break from the beaches and bars and are looking for a bit of culture Ubud is highly recommended.

Travbuddies: Ian (UK)