Day Three....Memorial Day at the USS Arizona

Pearl Harbor Travel Blog

I started Memorial day on 25 minutes of sleep. There were about 3 of us who stayed up all night and barely got any sleep. But we are in a new place and there are so many things to see so we had to get up at 6 in the morning to catch out bus to Pearl Harbor. None of us are morning people but we didn't want to miss our bus. We trudge out of the hotel and wait outside. We wait and wait and wait....

Buses pass us and some even look like the one we are supposed to be on. . . after and hour of waiting we call the place where we made reservations. ... You know the buses that looked like the tour company ... well we were supposed to be on that bus. Apparently we were waiting at the wrong hotel!!! Ohh let me tell you that was a bad start to the day!! Like I said we're not morning people.
view from the boat
. and morning people who have little sleep and haven't have had their coffee are not people you want to be around in this situation..

But we tried to make the most of it and just drive there ourselves. Good thing we had a GPS system. well after almost getting lost we end up at the USS Memorial.. It was sunny and the line was a little long. But we finally got inside and had about 45 minutes until our tour started. So we waited. In the meantime we were starving. The little snack bar there wasn't much but we were able to get something in our stomachs. Good thing we got inside when we did because it started to rain. . . . During our wait we listened to the Marine Corps Band. they played a few sets and it was nice to experience that on Memorial Day!

Finally it was time to take our tour. We watched a movie , which I hate to admit most of us slept through because we didn't sleep the night before.
I caught a little bit of it, and I think I would have liked it . We were also given these cards of a person that passed during Pearl Harbor. The cards gave a brief description of who the person was.  We then boarded the boat to the Memorial. I was humbling being inside the memorial. No one needed to speak and we all had an understanding as to what had occured here and the importance it held for all of us.

We didn't get to make it to the naval station at Pearl Harbor, but we were okay with that. Once we got back Waikiki we headed to Denny's for some grub. Then to the room where we all took a  long nap.

When we woke up it was time for our Dinner Cruise. We almost didn't make it, and made a mad dash to the Boat. Once we were on we finally relaxed enjoyed the ride and ate some good food. We wanted to dress up and by the pictures you would have thought we were at prom.. Hahah but thats okay .. we had  a blast. Great ending to a long day!!!
oil still seeps from the ship