Snow Dear, Here Dear, No Dear

Ottawa Travel Blog

So, we are now in Ottawa.

We arrived Wednesday afternoon, after getting the bus from Quebec City back to Montreal where we had to change and get on a Greyhound bus down to Ottawa. We found our hostel without any trouble, a tiny little 40 bed place right in the downtown area with a 24 hour supermarket two streets away. The hostel is nice, smaller than anything we've been in before and with a run down look but the bathrooms are clean and the rooms warm. The only down side is the two bathrooms on our floor generate a bit of a queue in the morning but we get up fairly early and have avoided having to wait so far. On the plus side that have a cute, cuddly ginger tom cat that lives at the hostel! I miss phoebe :o(.

We decided to have a meal out as we had done nothing but sit on a bus all day so we wandered along the main street looking at places. We decided on a pub called the Highlander, a Scottish pub. The waitresses wore plaid skirts and the waiter wore a kilt! The place had a pretty decent menu, offering several veggie options which pleased me greatly! After we had eaten we went outside and I took a piture of one of the ice scuptures that was just by the exit. It was advertising the Winterlude Festival and was so big it came up to shoulder level. A guy standing outside asked if we wanted our picture taking with it, I said no but Rachel said yes so we ended up getting our picture taking with it (to be posted later). The guy mentioned a storm coming in that night, Rachel and I laughed, thinking he was just joking with the tourists about the weather. Turns out he wasnt joking as we experianced the next day when we went out exploring. We had left fairly early in the morning as we wanted to find the tourist information centre and all the places where the Winterlude events were going to be taking place. When we left it was a bright blue sky and hardly any snow on the ground. About half hour later it was blowing a gale, with snow pelting down and visability reduced to about a hundred yards. We managed to stay out for a while, and then felt it was prudent to find somewhere indoors for a while so we headed to the library (which is where I am now) as it offers two hours of free internet access per day. It snowed for the rest of the day and night, with 20-30cms falling and another 10cm expected today.

Ottawa is a nice town, a lot livelier than Quebec City but not in the way Montreal was. We have booked to stay at the hostel until we can cross the border on the 12th Feb as the Winterlude is for for several weekends and we think there is enough to see and do in the week to keep us entertained. The hostel has free ice skates we can borrow so we may try going on the ice as the canal here freezes every year and forms one of the biggest natural ice rinks in the world!

photo by: stacey72